If you’re craving some hearty, Southern-style barbecue, you don’t need to hop on a plane. San Francisco is chock full of authentic and delicious barbecue spots. Here are our top picks for barbecue right here in the city.
Located in SoMa, CatHead’s BBQ is run by two professional chefs who met in culinary school in 2004 and formed the BBQ restaurant in 2008. Since both come from rural areas with close-knit families, their goal is to keep the deep-rooted traditions, recipes, and ideas from their families and youth alive. Head to CatHead’s for meals like smoked pork shoulder, ribs, and smoked brisket, along with a variety of sides like collard greens, and sauces, from mustard to the house BBQ and ketchup.
CatHead’s BBQ, 1665 Folsom St, San Francisco, CA, USA +1 415 861 4242
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Pete’s Barbecue is a hole-in-the-wall, cafeteria-style barbecue spot in the Mission that is definitely worth the visit. The restaurant features items like rotisserie chicken, plates of ribs, enormous baked potatoes, and a homemade, specialty barbecue sauce that will have you coming back for more.
Pete’s Barbecue, 2399 Mission St, San Francisco, CA, USA +1 415 826 1009
Hyde Away Blues BBQ
Hyde Away Blues BBQ specializes in authentic Memphis BBQ. Head to the Tenderloin for some ribs, collard greens, baked beans, and honey biscuits and corn bread, or dig in to the lobster mac and cheese and peach cobbler. Be sure to enjoy a glass of the sweet peach tea.
Hyde Away Blues BBQ, 457 Hyde St, San Francisco, CA, USA +1 415 678 8894
Smokin’ Warehouse BBQ
Head to Bayview/Hunter’s Point for some of the most delicious barbecue in San Francisco. At first, owner Bill Lee ran a catering company in the kitchen of his electrical warehouse, but he was inspired in 2010 to open a restaurant, Smokin’ Warehouse BBQ, which still runs out of the same warehouse. Enjoy platters of beef ribs, pulled pork, and beef brisket, sandwiches, burgers, and a variety of classic sides.
Smokin’ Warehouse BBQ, 1465 Carroll Ave, San Francisco, CA, USA +1 415 648 8881
Rusty’s Southern in the Tenderloin embraces the traditions of the South, but through more than just food. They believe that being Southern is more than just a geographic identity, and that it comes down to how people relate to one another and embrace the traditions of their food. Rusty’s offers entrées like catfish, fried chicken, meatloaf, and pork chops, with sides for the whole table. There’s a specialty brunch and also lunch items, plus craft beer.
Rusty’s Southern, 750 Ellis St, San Francisco, CA, USA +1 415 638 6974
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.