Everyone loves to eat, no matter what city you happen to live in. Thankfully, when you are living in San Francisco, one of the many enjoyable experiences you can have is finding one of the local food trucks and getting your grub on. Some of course may be more preferable than others. But let’s dive into specifics. Here we recommend the top five food trucks you have to experience whilst in the city of San Francisco.
The Chairman Truck
Debuted under its former name Chairman Bao in the spring of 2010, The Chairman Truck is one of the most popular food trucks in the Bay Area. Bao, or Chinese buns, baked or steamed, are the main feature. Traditionally, they’re stuffed first, but here the filling comes later. Unconventional choices such as Chinese spiced duck confit with mango salsa, and lion’s head meatball with fresh kimchi offer a broader world perspective. The Chairman is also an unexpected leader when it comes to original and interesting beverages. A hybrid concoction of shaved ice, large and chewy tapioca pearls, pineapple and salted caramel sauce is a particular crowdpleaser. Be forewarned that long lines are not at all unusual when the Chairman truck appears at special events, but it is usually more accessible during weekday appearances.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
While studying at UC Berkeley, Kate McEachern relieved stress and found creative bliss by baking cupcakes. When in 2009 she decided to launch what would become the first mobile cupcake truck in the Bay Area and one of the first nationwide, picking its name was a no-brainer. McEachern, a Chez Panisse alum, uses locally sourced ingredients such as Guittard chocolate and Clover sweet-cream butter and milk to produce a small spectrum of cupcakes, including salted caramel, red velvet, key lime, double vanilla, double chocolate, and tiramisu with a ladyfinger crust and mascarpone frosting. Most popular is the three-layer s’mores cupcake; graham cracker crust topped with chewy chocolate cake and finished, of course, with hand-toasted marshmallow frosting. Fans find Cupkates at Off the Grid on both sides of the bay. The employees are typically friendly and keep the line moving smoothly. If you buy more than one of their delightful confections, you can pay with a credit card and they’ll give you a to go box.
Del Popolo offers some delicious wood-fired pizzas from its roaming glass-fronted mobile truck. In addition to a classic margarita pizza, the Neapolitan-inspired pies may include a version topped with fresh mozzarella, rosemary and French fingerling potatoes. The glass truck offers an anticipation-building view of the people inside tossing the dough, laying out the toppings, and firing up each pizza. Each pie, with its beautifully blistered crust and fresh ingredients, is delivered to you in piping hot glory. The truck itself is gorgeous, with glass windows on the side that allow you to see the pizza-making action! It’s got a great rustic feel with a brown frame coloring, and a dash of contemporary flair.
Curry Up Now
In a traditional tale of San Francisco eatery entrepreneurship, Curry Up Now graduated from one single food truck to four, and also has three fixed restaurant locations for your convenience. Expect Northern Indian street food offered at stops across the Bay Area. What makes me happy is that they don’t play around with the spicy options. You can opt for none at all, all the way up to the extreme. Spicy food is not just about heat, it’s also about flavor, and the right kind of hot spices can change a dish for the better. With Curry Up’s ghost pepper sauce option, you get the ultimate tasty spicy curry experience. Long line-ups can get annoying, but they’re also a sign that the food is good. I had the paneer tikka masala burrito for a change from the usual meat dishes, and I wasn’t disappointed. The burrito was quite large for the price, the service relatively fast, and definitely friendly.
Long before food trucks of all tasty flavors and aromas began to pop up everywhere, a slew of taco trucks known as El Tonayense were cruising the streets of San Francisco, and they will probably remain long after the current trend dies down. Take a trip here for the Mexican classics – tacos and burritos. If you’re someone who cannot make up their mind, the choices within the two categories will be your worst nightmare. Restaurant quality seafood selections such as camarones de mojo ajo (garlic shrimp) and pescado frito (fried fish) belie their simple, street-side source. El Tonayense has longevity for good reasons – food quality and affordability. These tacos are sure to make a mess so be sure to get lots of napkins or pack the wet naps.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.