There are a lot of beautiful neighborhoods in San Francisco, California – each with their own character, charm, and beauty. The Marina is one of the nicest areas. Here are 10 suggestions of what to do here.
Picnic At East Beach And West Bluffs
Crissy Field is the perfect place to spend a sunny day in San Francisco. Head over to East Beach or the West Bluffs and enjoy a beautiful day on the grass with friends and family. Right on the waterfront, this location offers views of the Golden Gate Bridge, the Pacific Ocean, and an abundance of birds at Crissy Marsh for those bird watchers. Grab some food, or bring ingredients to make a yummy meal in the BBQ pits. Enjoy it as you watch the sunset from one of the best viewpoints.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Have A Beach Day At Crissy Field
If picnic tables aren’t exactly your thing, enjoy the day on the sand at the Crissy Field beach. This beach is a little smaller than most, but enough for a fun day by the water. Additionally, this location is special because it offers the view of the Golden Gate Bridge and the Marin Headlands. Bring a few snacks, some music, and good company and you’ll have a wonderful day in the outdoors. Make sure to also keep an eye out for those hungry seagulls who will steal any food in sight.
Take A Walk Down Chestnut Street
One of San Francisco’s delightful streets, Chestnut runs through San Francisco, offering visitors an eclectic mix of shops.It is also known for its fun bars, hip restaurants and great window-shopping. Since half of Chestnut is a neighborhood full of classic San Franciscan apartments, you will find the street always busy with people running errands and meeting friends for a coffee. Some of the best restaurants include Delarosa and Tacolicious, both trendy with delicious food and always packed with people. Boutiques such as Brandy Melville and Urban Outfitters (for the younger crowd) and y&i are great stops for some quick shopping.
Explore Fort Point
This National Historic Site will leave you in awe of its views of the Golden Gate Bridge. Fort Point was built as a defense system from any possible naval attacks on California during the Gold Rush. Though it never faced an attack, ever since then, the fort has become a historical location for people to visit. Drive all the way past Crissy Field until you arrive at a parking lot right beneath the Golden Gate. Take some time to explore the buildings and the structure of the bridge from below, as they are breathtaking sites.
Jump At House Of Air
If you enjoy trampolines and doing crazy flips in the air, House of Air is the right place for you to go. House of Air is an indoor trampoline park located in the Presidio, more specifically in West Crissy Field. This is the place to go if you’re looking for a place to bring the kids, enjoy a fun day with friends or throw a birthday party. Play some trampoline basketball or dive into the ball pit. An hour is usually enough here, as most people get tired from jumping up and down nonstop. But it is sure to be an hour full of laughs and a great workout.
Visit The Food Trucks At Off The Grid
Known as the ‘roaming mobile food extravaganza’, Off the Grid prides itself in its delicious food. The food trucks make their way all around the Bay Area, and stop at the Ft. Mason Center every Friday night from 5 to 10pm. These food trucks offer an eclectic choice of gourmet foods from Mexican to Indian to Nepalese. It’s a great way to spend an evening in the city with friends, Off the Grid offers much more than food. Every event has music acts to keep the spirit lively and soulful as well as games and vendor booths.
Visit The Palace Of Fine Arts
The Palace of Fine Arts is one of San Francisco’s most monumental buildings. The structure is meant for art exhibitions and plays, but it has become a huge tourist attraction for people around the world. The Palace of Fine Arts is a beautiful place to take photographs, especially wedding photos for those soon-to-be newlyweds. Enjoy a nice walk around the lagoon, and you’ll be sure to experience a beautiful, traditional day in San Francisco.
Run In The Marina Green Park
If you’re looking for a great outdoors workout, the Marina is the place to run. With the bay and beautiful waterfront homes at your side, and all the passersby on the street, the run through the Marina is not only beautiful but entertaining. Don’t be afraid of being watched by everyone driving back, as there will be hundreds of other runners running next to you. Take a quick break on the grass and play with the Frisbees. Make sure to make it to the end of the Marina to find the outdoor fitness installment, which is sure to get you sweating.
Spend A Day At Pier 39
For the most classic San Francisco day a tourist can have, spend the day at the famous Pier 39. Pier 39 offers 90+ shops, 14 restaurants, and fun games for visitors. The pier allows people to see incredible views of the bay, including Alcatraz, the Bay Bridge, and the Golden Gate. Aside from its proximity to the Marina, it is only two blocks away from the Fisherman’s Wharf in the historic waterfront of San Francisco. There you can spend time checking out numerous restaurants and farmer’s markets. Don’t forget the sea lions that bark all day while they lounge in the sun.
Grab Dessert At Ghirardelli Square
Though it’s a little bit further away than all of the above locations, Ghirardelli Square is the ultimate tourist attraction. Even parking is a stereotypical San Francisco affair as it involves finding a spot on those wonderful hills that we all know and love. Once there, anyone can feel the diversity of each visitor from around the world. An array of desserts, from ice cream sundaes to banana splits are served, and are enormous. Be sure to go to the back of the store and see the chocolate machine. After dessert is finished, head down to the waterfront and walk through the hanging lights, if it’s nighttime.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.