Featuring gorgeous hotels, luxurious bars and poolside villas, Palm Springs is one of California’s best resort cities. With a dining scene to match, we revisit Palm Springs’ cultural eateries and bring you a new take on the 10 best restaurants in the city, from gourmet French flavors to some of the hottest venues in the USA.
Le Vallauris, located in a restored historical landmark which features furniture designed with the era of Louix XV in mind, as well as luxurious Flemish tapestries, is an haute cuisine establishment serving French cuisine. Falling in line with the setting, the menu offers French specialties such as sautéed foie gras, crab cakes, a roast rack of lamb, or tender veal chops with Grand Marnier soufflé to finish. In addition to its decadent interiors, Le Vallauris also has outdoor seating in the lush garden surrounded by lupe ficus trees and fresh flowers. Owner Paul Bruggemans is lauded all over Palm Springs for his expert knowledge of French cuisine and adherence to its bountiful tradition.
Le Vallauris, 385 Tahquitz Canyon Way, Palm Springs, CA, USA, +1 76 0325 5059
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Open Table’s Diner’s Choice Award winners in 2009 and 2010, Tropicale serves fine cuisine in an elegant setting of dark, sophisticated hues and dim lights, embraces by a chic ambiance. The menu focuses on Pacific Rim specialties with plenty of seafood and fish options, from the Thai shrimp curry to the Chilean seabass, as well as several well-curated nibbles, and the sushi Sunday special. Outside, there is also a lush patio where cocktails can be enjoyed under the desert, star-lit sky. Recently voted one of the hottest restaurants in the USA, Tropicale is the perfect venue for the hip crowds of Palm Springs.
Tropicale, 330 East Amado Road, Palm Springs, CA, USA, +1 760-866-1952
Trio is most notably known for its wonderful architecture housed in a landmark building, which was once an Old Las Palmas bank. The interior is a mid-century space composed of several dining halls, and adorned with extravagant chandeliers. Among the signature items on the menu are the lamb shanks braised in Burgundy, rosemary and garlic, and served with lentils, but the restaurant also serves wonderful local craft beer on tap and has weekly specials which can be can examined on their website. Owner Mark Van Laanen and his partner Tony Marchese not only manage the venue, but also organise music and charity evenings; thanks to the success that Trio has enjoyed Mark and Tony have now decided to open another restaurant in Palm Springs called The Purple Room.
Trio, 707 Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, CA, USA, +1 76 0864 8764
Workshop Kitchen + Bar
Awarded the 2014 Diners’ Choice award from Open Table, Workshop Kitchen + Bar is innovative in both its décor and culinary offering. The menu revolved around seasonal ingredients sourced from local farms and producers. Chef Michael, who received his training at the Paul Bocuse Institute in Lyon, operates the kitchen using instruments such as wood-fired pizza ovens and grills, as well as custom-made stations. To add more spice to the mix, the bar focuses on using unusual ingredients to create experimental, unusual drinks and cocktails. Located in Uptown Palm Springs, an area known for its modern architecture, Workshop Kitchen + Bar fits in with its surroundings, with Manhattan-based Soma Architects designing the restaurant with a modernist feel, featuring various historical, eclectic and contemporary elements.
Workshop Kitchen + Bar, 800 Palm Canyon, Palm Springs, CA, USA, +1 76 0459 3451
Cheeky’s, a café popular with celebrities, has successfully attracted a large amount of publicity due to its healthy image. Located between the San Jacinto Mountains, Cheeky’s is all about seasonal, locally grown, organic food. With only breakfast and lunch on offer, the kitchen changes its menu on a weekly basis depending on the freshest produce available at the local markets that week. In addition to its gourmet menu, the café also makes healthy drinks such as watermelon agua fresca, or antioxidant smoothies with acai berries. For those who prefer something more substantial and less guilt-free, Cheeky’s also has an array of pastries baked fresh by pastry chef Deb Menduno.
Cheeky’s, 622 Palm Canyon, Palm Springs, CA, USA, +1 76 0327 7595
Nestled within the Parker resort in Palm Springs, Mister Parker’s serves excellent-quality bistro food in a beautifully decorated setting, which features artworks and paintings, luxurious carpeted floors and mahogany chairs and tables, lending the restaurant a dark, seductive feel. This atmosphere is mirrored in the menu options at Mister Parker’s, which include the likes of red wine-braised short ribs with white sweet potato puree, Loch Duart salmon filet with braised leeks, manila clams and young coconut cream, Szechuan cumin-crusted duck breast with braised turnips, roasted mango, confit baby fennel and Madeira thyme reduction. In addition to these gourmet delicacies, the dessert menu is a complication of decadent flavours.
Mister Parker’s, 4200, Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, CA, USA, +1 76 0770 5000
Opened in December of 2004 in the heart of Palm Springs, Copley’s soon became one of the most acclaimed and popular restaurants in the city, gaining both local and national recognition from the likes of Zagat and The New York Times. An informal venue with both indoor and outdoor seating, Copley’s menu is all about American dishes with plates such as sesame seed-crusted tofu over a bed of Wasabi potato and asparagus with citrus ponzu sauce, or slow-braised veal cheeks with Maine lobster served over a bed of garlic potato, sautéed wild mushrooms and asparagus.
Copley’s, 621 Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, CA, USA, +1 76 0327 9555
Spencer’s Restaurant has been lauded for many of its features, including Palm Springs’ most romantic restaurant, best outdoor dining and best Sunday brunch, making it a very special place for those who value quality. Nestled at the base of San Jacinto Mountains, the restaurant serves various classics, such as Chinese-style kung pao calamari, pan-fried Lake Superior white fish, and a New York strip steak with parmesan-truffle fries. Visit for lunch when the sun is out and dine on Spencer’s lush garden patio.
Spencer’s Restaurant, 701 West Baristo Road, Palm Springs, CA, USA, +1 76 0327 3446
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.