Ontario may be more famous as an airport for those used to flying to California, but the city itself is full of great restaurants which make it more than worth visiting. From Thai and Lebanese to traditional American fare, here is our list of the ten best restaurants in the area.
The Bucket Crab & Crawfish
California isn’t short on seafood restaurants, but The Bucket Crab & Crawfish will give you an authentic experience of eating bucket-loads of shellfish the traditional way. They offer a range of favorites including clams, shrimp, crab and crawfish, all of which is served with the option of a luscious garlic butter sauce and the option of Cajun fries. If you’re used to knife and fork dining, this won’t be for you, as everything has to be eaten with your hands. Fortunately, if you’re a newbie to eating shellfish from scratch, the staff are helpful and attentive, and will equip you with the necessary gloves and instructions to minimize the mess.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Olive Grill
The Olive Grill serves a huge range of quality sandwiches, wraps and burgers, which marry the best of Asian and Mexican flavors. This restaurant is especially popular locally for its Korean BBQ, and their delicious KBBQ fries come with cheese and jalapeños as well as tender meat for a Tex-Mex vibe. Their range of refreshing ice-blend teas also provides the perfect end to the meal. While The Olive Grill provides the ideal pit-spot on the way to the airport, you’re sure to find an excuse to stop off there regardless of your route.
Alina’s Lebanese Cuisine
For those unfamiliar with Lebanese cuisine, Alina’s is the ideal restaurant to get you hooked on dishes from this region. This restaurant offers Lebanese classics, such as gourmet kebabs and falafel, both of which come with a range of hummus, fatoush and pickles, as well as offering mezza platters where you can sample as many dishes from the region as possible, including baba ghanouj, grape leaves, and baklava.
Vince’s Spaghetti shows just how big an impact Italian cuisine has had on the American dining scene, and is so hugely popular that the owners boast that they typically serve 15000 miles of spaghetti each year. Everything is served in family style portions, so be prepared to take home leftovers.
Panda Inn Restaurant
Panda Inn is a family run restaurant which has operated in Ontario for 40 years. They serve a range of Chinese cuisines, including Mandarin and Szechuan. For those more familiar with standard Chinese cooking Szechuan will come as an exciting surprise: food from this region is hotter and spicier than typical Chinese flavors, with plenty of garlic and chili peppers. While California may be over saturated with Chinese food, Panda Inn sets itself apart from the rest with special touches, such as in the way the meals are completed. Dessert comes in the form of beautiful fruit platters, and the fortune cookies are taken to a whole new luxurious level by being dipped in white chocolate.
Lucky Elephant is the best place to get authentic Thai food in Ontario. The inside of the restaurant is a delight for they eyes, covered in teakwood designs and Thai sculptures. The quality of the food has been recognized for excellence by the Thai Select badge of approval: the internationally recognized sign of excellence in Thai cuisine. Make sure to try their desserts, which include unexpected delights such as deep-fried banana and fried ice-cream.
El Pescador’s menu classics include chimichanga and the in-house speciality of pescador fajitas. In addition to the entrées, make sure to check out the appetizers menu, which includes fresh oysters, crispy calamari and fresh guacamole. The drink menu offers a huge range of exciting margaritas, including peach and strawberry, sweet and sour, and the Diablo, which comes with chili and mango. The restaurant also hosts live Latin music every Saturday and Sunday, which make it an unmissable spot in downtown Ontario.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.