San Francisco one of the largest multicultural melting pots in the United States. Whether you’re sightseeing at Union Square or shopping at Westfield Mall, you can easily find a meal that fits any palate or budget; we list 10 of the best.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Bar, Cocktail Bar, Restaurant, Indian, $$
Amber Indian is an exceptional dining experience near Yerba Buena Gardens and the Marriott Marquis. Regardless if you choose to try their famous butter chicken or just stop for a cocktail at their trendy window bar, you will not be disappointed by your visit. Moderately expensive with authentic Indian cuisine and a relaxing atmosphere, Amber Indian is truly a gem in the downtown San Francisco area.
Super Duper Burgers
‘Fast Food burgers with slow food values’ is the slogan of Super Duper Burgers, one of the few local burger chains that have popped up in the Bay Area in recent years. As their motto claims, Super Duper is dedicated to creating a ‘super’ burger that leaves a minimum footprint on the environment, and their meat is 100 per cent grass-fed, humanely raised beef.
Pizzeria, Restaurant, Fast Food, Vegetarian, $
With both indoor and outdoor patio seating, Delarosa serves their renowned Roman-style pizzas with their modern take on Italian dining. With both a Marina and Downtown location, they strive to make simple, quality food that will make you go out and buy those tickets to Rome you’ve been holding off on.
Restaurant, Greek, $$$
By far one of the most talked about restaurants in the downtown San Francisco area, Kokkari Estiatorio has certainly captivated critics and foodies alike with its unique Greek cooking and lovely candlelit atmosphere. Although you may have to reserve a space a few days beforehand, you will not be disappointed when you get there.
Muracci’s Japanese Curry and Grill
Restaurant, Japanese, $
Muracci’s Japanese Curry and Grill is a cozy, counter service spot that many foodies claim is the best curry in the entire city. Relatively cheap and incredibly filling, Muracci’s curry has been perfected by its talented chefs and is one of the best quick dining experiences downtown.
Bar, Sandwich Shop, Pub Grub
A classic sandwich stop, The Sentinel is noted for its heavenly corned beef sandwiches and classic sandwich fare. Forgoing a larger menu with complicated options, The Sentinel sticks to a stark menu of around ten items that are made to perfection. Although only open for lunch and breakfast from Monday to Friday, this sandwich institution can easily have a line going around the corner.
Restaurant, American, $$$
Michael Mina is one of two namesake restaurants (the other being in Las Vegas) of acclaimed chef Michael Mina, whose self-founded Mina Group has created over 18 concept restaurants that continue to amaze. With its New American cuisine and an award-winning tasting menu, Michael Mina is one of the foremost restaurants in the state.
Restaurant, Seafood, $$
If you’re craving fresh, excellent seafood in the Bay Area, then take a detour from the Pier and head over to Tadich Grill on California Street. With an extensive seafood menu that is updated every morning, Tadich is one of the oldest restaurants in California, as it has been operating and serving happy customers for over 166 years.
Bar, Restaurant, Spanish, $$
A sexy and sophisticated restaurant located in an alley between Sutter and Bush Street, Gitane offers an elegant and intimate dining experience. Combining the best of both French and Spanish cuisine, Gitane is one of the most comfortable date spots in the entire the city.
Restaurant, Mexican, $
A friendly taqueria by day and a lively restaurant by night, Tropisueño is all about colorful food, good friends and pleasant memories. With their chilli-salt margaritas and gigantic portions, the restaurant can easily satisfy a large group of people looking for excellent food and great service.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.