For Angelenos, life may not always be a figurative “walk in the park,” but literally a stroll – more about the journey than the actual destination. And it does help that the destination may be a morning meditation class or routine stop at Pressed Juicery…While Los Angeles may be famous for its beautiful beaches, bumper-to-bumper traffic, and celebrity sightings, the city is fueled by more than overpriced gas. It is the overall character of LA that keeps the city more alive than ever. Get your head out of the clouds and check out our complete list of LA stereotypes.
Nicknamed “la la land” for its carefree, ‘lax attitude, it seems as though everyone in LA tends to speak slower and with less urgency than the rest of the world. So when in LA, do as the Angelenos do: grab a corona and lime, lay out by the pool, and take it easy because life is too short, and too beautiful to spend time worrying (it must be all the yoga, meditation, and cage-free eggs we eat.)
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Within an hour in LA, you have met approximately five vegans, a vegetarian, and a gluten-free yoga instructor. Two words, kale salad (with half an avocado). LA natives are famous for their all organic eating and various diets. Although we do enjoy our guilty pleasure animal fries at In-N-Out Burger, frequent trips to L.A. Juice and Urth Cafe are the icing on the carrot cake or better yet, the honey drizzle on that acai bowl. We take our health very seriously, as the #1 US producer of broccoli, spinach, tomatoes, and avocados.
What says LA more than perfect sunshine weather, a “faux-European shopping alley,” and towering palm trees up against the clear blue sky. Although this may not be true for all Angelenos, a majority of the population follows the latest in trends from attire to automobiles. Brand-name clothing, designer handbags, and red-bottom pumps are worn by more than just the stars and add to the glamour of the city. Although cars are needed to survive in LA, they are way more than just a means of survival. In a city where people spend a majority of their time in traffic, exotic automobiles become status symbols, representing luxury.
“Do you see famous people all the time?” is one of the most frequently asked questions for people in LA, and the answer is yes, all the time. And who knows – if you’re lucky, you might even match one on Tinder. Celebrity sightings in LA are as typical as seeing a Starbucks on every other street corner; a simple trip to the gas station can quickly turn into an angry altercation with the paparazzi. A picture is worth a thousand words, and you may just find your candids from that Sunday trip to the Grove on the front page of the tabloids, right behind Ashton Kutcher.
If we’re not stuck in traffic, we’re talking about traffic
People from LA may obsess over many things including The Bar Method and vegan chocolate chip cookies, but traffic certainly takes its toll. The 101 and the 405 have evolved from simple means of transportation to hot topics of conversation and everyone in LA knows to expect traffic at any time of day, especially when Obama is visiting. Don’t even think about taking Wilshire (plan ahead with some emergency gluten-free snacks and a traffic jam-out playlist).
Toned, Tan, and Beautiful
In a city where bikini season is year round, people in LA are constantly working on staying in shape with this never-ending fitness craze. Workout clothes make up more than half a person’s wardrobe, often times worn without the slightest intention of working out. Runyon Canyon is a local favorite and one of the only places in the world where you will feel compelled to wear make-up on a hike (because you need to look perfect for that “I made it, ma” selfie). With the help of spray tans and the tanning bed, even if you’re pale, you’re tan.
The Rain is Catastrophic
From the first drop on the pavement to the slightest sign of drizzle, the city spirals into a slow panic. It begins with the social media frenzy – Snapchats displaying the temperature below 80 degrees and Facebook statuses updates warning others about “the storm” on the horizon. After the excitement cools down, we run to the back of our closets and deck ourselves out in rain gear – yes, that means finally putting those 100 dollar pair of designer rain boots to use. Calling for cliché winter activities, hot chocolate, and Meg Ryan chick flicks, a rainy day in LA is the perfect staycation.
Aspiring screenwriters, filmmakers, and actors
They’re everywhere, often spotted at the local coffeehouse or Crave Café in Sherman Oaks. Everyone is looking to be the next best thing since sliced bread… or pressed juice. If it’s not you typing away behind an old typewriter at 3:00 in the morning, chances are you know someone who is.
From hippies in the Highlands to the environmentalists in Echo Park, the city is flooded with liberals. A morning grocery trip to Whole Foods is accompanied with being asked to sign a petition to save the whales. Reputably environmentalist from the toilets in Santa Monica, to the plastic bag ban, Los Angeles is swarming with eco-friendly activists in energy saver cars and Prii (the plural form of Prius).
Nice Friendly People
It must be all the sunshine we get, or the organic food. Either way, Angelenos are almost always on their best behavior. Unless you catch them on the 405 or during a shortage of brussels sprouts, they will most likely spread positive energy your way.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.