A Hollywood pop-up will seat guests and offer an enjoyable meal. But, for this particular dinner there is a catch—the entire meal will take place entirely inside a giant cube full of art.
ARTXFOOD is the first chapter of ARTCUBED, intended to be an ongoing collection of immersive, art-focused experiences. Events will draw from food, music, film, and nightlife, and explore how they intersect with modern art.
ARTCUBED founder Ariel Gordon previously served as art director for the posh KABOO music festival. According to Gordon, art and food are inherently intertwined.
“The art world traditionally has a large element of passivity to it, you’re constantly viewing works at a remove,” Gordon told Culture Trip.
“The concept of creating an immersive, participatory experience for the art world was incredibly enticing to me—an experience you can touch, feel, taste, and share. Los Angeles has always been the artists’ city, but L.A. is having a creative revolution right now. It’s on fire for all things creative while also being a town that loves events. We wanted to strike while the iron was hot. ”
ARTXFOOD—as its name implies—combines both culinary and visual arts. It’s something that Angelenos have embraced in the past, making Gordon’s sentiments on the hot iron particularly apt. Others include Nuit Blanche, set in the 1920s at the lavish home of an eccentric French playboy who entertains his dinner guests with salacious cabaret. Then there’s Disco Dining Club, where multi-course meals, free-flowing booze, and an endless oyster bar cross with the hedonistic days of disco. These theatrical supper clubs frequently sell out, even at higher price points.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
With ARTXFOOD, guests will first enter a “Secret Garden” installation where they’ll receive a welcome cocktail. Shortly thereafter, guests will file into a giant cube that seats 56, built inside of Hollywood’s Goya Studios. Los Angeles-based artist Greg Ito was commissioned to create the cube itself.
“Working on this unique installation has allowed me to approach the space in new undefined ways not normally found in my practice,” Ito said, via a release. “It will be an experience to remember—one of hope, fear, love, and loss.”
Meanwhile, chef Richard Blais (Top Chef) provides a four-course meal, including wine pairings influenced by Ito’s art. After dinner, guests may enjoy an after-dinner cocktail experience, located outside of the cube, where they can view even more of Ito’s paintings, sculptures, and installations.
ARTXFOOD takes place from May 11 to June 3, Tuesday through Sunday, with seatings at 6:30 p.m. or 8:30 p.m. Early bird tickets start at $120, plus processing fees.
Goya Studios, 1541 N Cahuenga Blvd, Los Angeles, CA, USA, +1 323 230 9005
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.