Art duo Dosshaus’ Paper-Thin Hotel feels like walking into a pulp comic full of antiheroes, complicated criminals, heists, and hijinks. In this monochrome flophouse created entirely out of painted cardboard, guests will find memorabilia from absent guests that spins a vivid narrative.
Dosshaus consists of Zoey Taylor and David Connelly. The pair frequently works with cardboard, sometimes even wearing cardboard clothing. For Paper-Thin Hotel, Dosshaus created a rundown motel in the Arts District‘s Corey Helford Gallery.
Visitors are free to walk through the exhibit, and would be wise to pay attention to the small details. Dosshaus didn’t just make big pieces like beds and chairs out of cardboard; there are dozens upon dozens of small items—keys, letters, toiletries—strewn about the space, too. Each and every one of them has been meticulously painted in shades of gray, giving them the appearance of 3-D illustrations plucked from a comic book and transported to our world. Stiff, cardboard curtains are backlit, providing the illusion of light streaming in from a non-existent window. Mirrors contain actual glass, allowing the viewer to see themselves fully immersed in Dosshaus’ hotel.
The details of the exhibit offer insight into the characters and how they live, even though they themselves are not present. The elevator is out of service, the TV is broken, and a chess set sits untouched in the lounge. A barely eaten sandwich lies on the manager’s desk next to an F. Scott Fitzgerald novel, while a bottle of hooch is hidden in a drawer and adult magazine strewn on the chair. A sign at the entrance, when paid attention to, reads “vagrancy” as opposed to “vacancy.”
Room 101 is meant to be the honeymoon suite, according to a release from the gallery. Yet these lovebirds seem like they might be on the lam. A suitcase full of cold, hard cash lies next to a prop gun on a pale comforter, while two Chinese takeout boxes sit empty on a nightstand. “You will be rewarded for your efforts,” the fortune from an abandoned cookie reads.
In another room, a mostly unfinished cake sits on a desk next to an empty birdcage, the door hanging open ominously. Prescription pill bottles, syringes, and a spoon indicate an addiction is also housed in this suite. A musician occupies a third room, a guitar leaning against a dresser.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Though the title of the exhibit is quite literal in that the walls separating each room are actually made of cardboard, “Paper-Thin Hotel” is also the name of a Leonard Cohen song. Similarly voyeuristic, Cohen sings about overhearing a woman having sex with an unknown man in an adjacent hotel room.
Paper-Thin Hotel will be on display through May 5.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.