Everyone’s heard about Napa wine country, but you may be unaware of another wine lover’s paradise all the way across the bay. The South Bay Area, home to both the Santa Cruz and Santa Clara AVAs, has an awesome up-and-coming wine country that deserves love and exploration.
Your trip to South Bay wineries will give you beautiful views, unique experiences, and delicious wines. We’ve compiled a list of the wineries you need to visit in the region, so get to sippin’.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
For the wine enthusiast – Ridge Vineyards
Ridge Vineyards stands in the slopes of Cupertino, offering a gorgeous view of the Silicon Valley. Though the view is astounding, the real delight comes from trying the world renowned wines grown on the property. Critics all over the world have sung Ridge’s praises for decades, and it certainly earns the accolades — the wine is exquisite. If you’re looking for a place to bring the wine geek in your life, this is the place to visit.
For the Views – Loma Prieta Winery
Looking to enjoy an ocean view with a glass of vino? Loma Prieta Winery has a breathtaking view of the Santa Cruz coastline from atop the Santa Cruz Mountains. Visitors can picnic, play bocce, and bring families and furry friends all while enjoying stunning scenery and sipping on their famous Pinotage. If you get the chance to visit later in the day to see the sunset, you will not regret it.
For The Equestrian – Cooper-Garrod Vineyards
Nestled in the hills of Saratoga, Cooper-Garrod Vineyards’ family owned and operated establishment gives a beautiful escape from the city life. All wines offered, including a locally popular Cabernet Franc, are estate grown and crafted by family member and winemaker, Bill Cooper. You may also see some unexpected guests at the winery —horses! Cooper- Garrod is also home to a robust stable and riding program and visitors can take a horseback riding lesson, followed by a tasting.
For The Atmosphere – MJA Vineyards
MJA Vineyards’ Los Gatos “Summit” location is the escape that locals love. When you enter MJA, you’ll find that most visitors are, in fact, members who come back because the staff and the atmosphere make them feel at home. With dozens of delicious varietals to chose from, including Santa Cruz Pinots and Napa Cabernets, MJA gives a warm and unique “aloha” to every patron. They are also dog friendly, recording their furry visitors on social media under #DogsOfMJA, and provide snacks to good boys and girls.
For A Night on the Town – Cinnabar
Planning for some wine and a fabulous dinner? Cinnabar, a tasting room located in the heart of downtown Saratoga, is the place to go. Cinnabar offers a hip indoor tasting room and also a cozy outdoor patio looking onto downtown that’s perfect for a night on the town. After you’ve tried their delicious wines, including their signature “Mercury Rising” Bordeaux blend, head out to one of the many neighboring restaurants or coffee shops for some after-sip eats.
For the Family – Martin Ranch Winery
Martin Ranch Winery is located in the valley merging into the Santa Cruz Mountains in Gilroy, California. However, this winery can easily be mistaken for its own unique town. Owned and operated by a husband and wife wine-making team and a dedicated staff, the Martin Ranch property is expansive and gorgeous. They offer indoor and outdoor tasting areas, a playground for the kiddos and an on-premises lake with a deck built for wine tasting. Along with a long list of wines, which vary from Riesling to Nebbiolo, they also sell artisan snacks and handmade goodies.
For the History Buff – Burrell School Vineyards & Winery
There are very few places that have a full authentic 1850s school house for viewing, but Burrell School Vineyards & Winery does. Burrell School boasts hearty wines, including heavy Cabernets and a yummy Pinot Noir, but their special structure — a fully restored 1850s school house — make the winery worth a visit. Owner and winemaker, David Moulton, can give an in-depth tour of the schoolhouse, where you can see lesson plans they rediscovered from over a century ago! It’s one for the books.
For the Cabernet Lover – Vidovich Vineyards
Cabernet may be king in Napa Valley, but it also reigns supreme at Vidovich Vineyards. Since being founded by “Grandpa” Steve Vidovich, the winery has almost exclusively focused on producing high-quality, big Cabernets. For those who are particularly fond of the most-popular red grape, Vidovich has got producing a fine Cab down to an art form. Its tasting room is the new kid on the block (opening in spring 2017) and has some of the most incredible views of the Bay Area. So enjoy a glass there or take some home for a steak dinner.
For a Fun Private Tasting – Clos LaChance
The Clos La Chance property, located on the Santa Clara Valley Wine Trail in Gilroy, California, is stunningly gorgeous. With beautiful buildings and flowers in abundance, Clos La Chance is a great place for a romantic picnic. It also offers unique, fun private tastings, including a chocolate and wine pairing, and a wine education class led by the estate sommelier. They offer great wines for sunny days, including a delicious Central Coast Sauvignon Blanc and dry Rosé. Book your tasting at clos.com.
For the Picnic People – Testarossa Winery
Though most wineries in the South Bay are food friendly, Testarossa certainly has one of largest and most popular picnic areas in the Santa Cruz Mountains AVA. Testarossa is one of the state’s oldest operating tasting rooms and is spacious and grand. Outside, sit on their terrace with a bottle of wine and some friends to enjoy the shaded, often pleasant, South Bay weather. Straying from the norm, Testarossa also crafts dessert wines that are perfect for an afternoon treat.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.