When you’re checking out incredible sights bearing the legendary Getty name in Los Angeles, you’ll want a correspondingly lavish place to stay. So, here’s our pick of the best hotels nearby – bookable on Culture Trip.
Much more than a museum, the Getty Center is housed on the former ranch of J Paul Getty, and for Los Angelenos, that means an entire campus with a villa, a museum of European, Asian and American art, and the remarkable Pacific Palisades setting. Thanks to the funding from the Getty Trust, the museum, gardens and great city views are free to explore. Fancy staying close by? Here are the top hotels to book.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Less than 3mi (5km) from the Getty, the UCLA Luskin Conference Center is popular for its views of – and access to – the university campus. But don’t let the name confuse you – this is no dorm accommodation. Instead, it’s a luxury hotel with high-end linens and top-of-the-line amenities, including room service with a menu of light, California cuisine. And it’s not just the surroundings that are green; the hotel donates and recycles unused soaps and toiletries, leaving nothing to go to waste.
Most of Los Angeles’s best-loved hotels are urban properties with lots of city glam. Luxe Sunset shares those qualities, but with 7 acres (3ha) off Sunset Boulevard, it blends pin-sharp city modernity with an oasis, including a wellness resort and plenty of personal space to make your own. While you’ll have trouble tearing yourself away once you’re set up by the pool, the hotel is less than 2mi (3km) south of the Getty, so take some time to explore.
With its unusual cylindrical skyscraper shape, it’s likely you have noticed the Hotel Angeleno before, even if you’ve never so much as set foot inside. It’s close to the Getty – you’ll find it a little more than 1mi (1.6km) south – presenting striking panoramas of the museum and surrounding campus. Indeed, the views are so good that those making films and commercials often do so at the hotel. The Hotel Angeleno is set up to make your stay easy; you can even charge your Uber rides to your room.
Since 1946, this landmark has been one of Los Angeles’s most famous hotels. It has a faithful following – not to mention a long list of those who want to visit – because of its peace and quiet. There are 12 acres (5ha) of serene gardens, a restaurant by celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck and prices that match its stratospheric level of service and amenities, such as the other restaurants, bars and spas. The decor is quintessential Hollywood Regency, and art exhibits are sprinkled throughout the property. The hotel is 4mi (6km) east of the Getty near the UCLA campus.
Thanks to a $2.5bn redevelopment, the Fairmont Century Plaza is a head-turner. The rooftop pool has views of the city in every direction, including the Getty Center, 6mi (10km) west of the hotel. Some of the 400 rooms have separate seating areas and patios, while certain floors lay on private concierges. The pet-friendly hotel also has a spa and a fitness center, and if you’re here with children, they’ll roll out the necessary care.
Surveying its envy-inducing Westwood location (walkable to shops and restaurants), the W Los Angeles – West Beverly Hills is supremely confident. It’s chock-full of high energy, as you’d expect from the nightclub-like W brand, with bright colors, hi-tech decor, a hip bar that hosts live music events and a highly seductive pool surrounded by private cabanas. The W is an LA experience that makes you feel like you’re in the center of the action. All that and you’re less than 4mi (6km) east of the Getty Center.
Hotel Palomar is part of the hip Kimpton brand, but when checking in, you may well feel like you are holed up in a private estate. Its decor is California-stylish, with spacious, modern guest rooms and cheeky design touches that are part of the fun Kimpton aesthetic. Check out the game room and the heated pool, or do yoga in your suite with a provided mat. Pet-friendly, this hip place looks out onto the celebrated Wilshire Boulevard – and you’re less than 4mi (6km) east of the Getty, near the UCLA campus.
Every guest room at the Beverly Hills Plaza Hotel and Spa is a suite, so as you might expect, there’s no such thing as ordinary treatment at this swanky spot. So, how best to spend your time in this temple to glamour? Perhaps settle in for a day at the spa, soak in the heated pool, and take in the views of Wilshire Boulevard. Attentive staff will take care of your every need while you’re here. And when you want to leave, you’re less than 5mi (8km) from the Getty Center.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.