Drive out to San Dimas, Los Angeles, and you’ll find one of the largest water parks in California. This fun space, home to rides including Aqua Rocket and Dark Hole, is spread out over 50 acres (20ha). Open only during summer, there are plenty of great hotels providing easy access. Here are the best, all bookable with Culture Trip.
Along the freeway between the City of Industry and San Dimas is the well-regarded Best Western Plus Executive Inn. The location is ideal for a number of great family attractions, including Raging Waters, only 12 miles away. The earth-toned rooms are spacious and comfortable, there’s a shuttle service if you don’t have your own vehicle, and there’s even a swimming pool, in case you haven’t had enough of the water.
Close to the I-10 freeway, the Hartford Hotel feels fresh enough to be brand new. Wallpaper in the rooms features handwriting in various languages, reflecting the multilingual abilities of the staff, who collectively speak Mandarin and Spanish, in addition to English. Rooms with single beds have a night-light for the kids, in case they need help falling asleep after an adrenaline-packed day. A full American breakfast is served each morning as part of the room fee.
Only 5mi (8km) south of Raging Waters is La Quinta Inn, good-value accommodation with a pool area and sun terrace. A lilac-and-chocolate design is used throughout, with fine art photography of LA cityscapes adorning the walls. As with many roadside inns in California, a buffet breakfast, including bagels, juice and make-your-own waffles is included. But worry not, you can work it all off in the fitness center afterwards.
The DoubleTree by Hilton is a hotel where you can expect attention to detail and quality in your room. Ideal if you wish to indulge in a little luxury during your Los Angeles trip, the rooms are fitted with modern amenities, designer carpets and tasteful, warm lighting, with illuminated mirrors in the bathroom.
An inn with high standards near Raging Waters is the Hampton, in the West Covina region of Los Angeles. The generously sized hotel pool and fitness center mean you can extend your aquatic revelry beyond the water park, while rooms have comfortable beds and plenty of seating for added relaxation during the day. There’s a mini-fridge and free breakfast provided, although there are more than a dozen restaurants nearby.
Another top sight for families visiting Raging Waters is Fairplex, with its regular shows and county fairs. Sheraton Fairplex Hotel is perfectly placed to experience these events, and you can easily reach the water park, 5mi (8km) away. Rooms come with a king-sized bed or two queen beds, and all have a separate living space, which can be closed off for that little more calm.
Experience a good rest and some historic charm at the Comfort Inn Pomona, where the architecture pays homage to Native American and early Hispanic construction. Within the inn, a more modern blend of cream and pine is employed in the rooms, where you’ll find a refrigerator, coffee-maker and microwave to make it easier to self-cater. There’s also an exercise room.
Stay at this Holiday Inn outpost near Anaheim and enjoy views of the San Gabriel Mountains. Breakfast, which is included in the room fee, is served in a large dining space with a bar at its center, owing to the fact that meals and drinks can be bought here throughout the day. The heated outdoor pool is open until 10pm and the fitness center stays open 24 hours a day.
Your LA vacation doesn’t have to begin and end at the water park. While you’re in town, make sure you enjoy the best outdoor activities and best day trips available, before dining at some of the finest restaurants around. There are also plenty of other great stays in the City of Angels – see the best hotels with pools and the best family-friendly hotels, and book your stay on Culture Trip now.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.