For a slice of the more laid-back side of LA life, head to hip Venice Beach, where the white sands are as beautiful as the boardwalk is buzzy. More relaxed than neighboring Santa Monica, with a trendier hippie vibe, this is California living at its best. If Los Angeles is famous for its health-conscious, yoga-focused, green-juice sipping outlook on life, then Venice Beach is its epicenter. This beachside neighborhood has long been the home of artists and creatives, skateboarders and surfers, and plenty of budding actors, too. It’s also renowned for exciting, health-centered eateries such as Gjelina and sister bakery Gjusta. Uncover this ultra-hip area with a stay at one of the best hotels in Venice Beach – bookable with Culture Trip.
If you’re in the mood for a surf-and-sand vacation but don’t feel like busting your budget, this Venice beach hotel should fit the bill. The snug, all-white rooms are like a two-inch heel – chic but sensible – and positioned on a fairly quiet section of the Venice Boardwalk. Enjoy that cup of morning coffee on the rooftop deck or the cozy beachfront patio, then grab a free beach chair, umbrella and boogie board and set up for a day of slothdom next to the waves.
No matter whether you need a quick overnight getaway or an inspiring long-term base to finally write that screenplay, this Venice Beach hotel has you covered. The boardwalk setting ensures an instant immersion in SoCal beach culture and easy access to great shopping and the idyllic Venice Canals. Each unit, from petite studios to family-friendly two-bedroom cottages, is kitted out with a kitchen, although you might well be tempted to sample the Latin-inspired food at the on-site Fig Tree Café – neighborhood-adored since 1978.
A giant “V“ graces the façade of this Venice Beach hotel that’s been a landmark right on the iconic Boardwalk since 1915. Of late, the one-time residence of early Hollywood movie stars like Charlie Chaplin and Clara Bow has been rebooted as a playground for plugged-in fun seekers while preserving such charming original features as the bronze-doored elevator. Eclectically furnished open-plan rooms come with custom LED lighting, grand ocean views and luscious linens. For extra space and privacy, book a rooftop bungalow.
The mural-adorned exterior of the Kinney is a good indicator of the playful vibe you’ll find inside. The fairy light-illuminated AstroTurf courtyard is primed for rounds of rowdy beer pong with several ping-pong tables, while the dreamy pool is perfect for cooling off during spells of LA heat. Perch here with a morning coffee, or watch the sky turn cotton-candy pink with a margarita cocktail at sunset. Abbot Kinney Boulevard is a 10-minute stroll away, so you’ll be spoilt for choice when it comes to eating out. Be sure to book ahead to nab a table at local favorite Gjelina.
Wake up to views over Venice Beach’s palm-fringed Boardwalk, or fall asleep to the lapping of the waves – this is about as close as you can get to the ocean while still being on solid ground. Pack your low-key beach gear to blend in with the trendy crowd – both at the beach and the hotel’s popular rooftop bar. Linger at this prime spot with a cocktail and a late-night boogie under the stars, before retreating to your enormous comfy bed for a blissful night’s sleep.
The Inn at Venice Beach is all about friendly vibes and wallet-friendly prices. While rooms are kept simple with burnt orange feature walls, the communal areas turn heads with beaded light fittings and colorful murals. Venice Beach and the Boardwalk are just five minutes away on foot, so you can beat the crowds and pick your spot for watching the tide roll in. And when you want to explore further afield, simply hop on the bus, which stops directly outside the hotel, and be whisked away to another corner of the City of Angels.
Andrea Schulte-Peevers contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
For more accommodation options, discover our guide to the best bed and breakfasts near Los Angeles and book now on Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.