SoMa – south of Market – hums with energy. Vibrating clubs, raucous baseball games and glitter-soaked cabaret shows make this San Francisco neighborhood one of the liveliest in the city. Dig into the history of the Barbary Coast, a former red-light district, or cheer on the San Francisco Giants from these best hotels in SoMa, San Francisco – bookable on Culture Trip.
While many of the premier hotels in San Francisco pride themselves on their rich histories, Hotel Zetta flaunts its ultramodern chic. The 116-room hotel in SoMa boasts ecofriendly amenities and found art throughout. The on-site restaurant, the Cavalier, is a must if you’re a fan of upscale British cuisine, and the Playroom is exactly what it sounds like – a space for adults to unwind with billiards, shuffleboard and a 30ft (9m) Plinko wall.
For baseball fans, you won’t find a better spot to base yourself than Hotel VIA, where SoMa meets Mission Bay, just across the street from Oracle Park – home to the San Francisco Giants. But there’s more to it than a convenient location. The contemporary style is a modernist’s dream, with polished leather furnishings and chrome detailing, while the rooftop bar boasts 360-degree views of the city and the bay from 12 stories high. Settle around the firepits to sip on champagne or dance the night away to a pulsing DJ set.
The InterContinental is a San Francisco landmark with its distinct cool-blue walls and 32 stories. The SoMa hotel is adjacent to the Moscone West Convention Center, making it a convenient place to stay if you’re here on business, but it’s also ideal if you fancy a treat.
Hotel Zelos is as close to Market Street as you can get and still be considered SoMa. The historic property was built in 1907, but what’s inside is as progressive as it gets. The 202-room hotel is also an art gallery and you can have your dog stay too – albeit for a cleaning fee. For human guests, the Dirty Habit restaurant-bar is a great retreat for a bite and drink five stories above the street.
Hotel Vitale, on the Embarcadero, is a great option for those who want a relaxing, refined hotel. The rooftop spa has soaking tubs complete with views of the bay and amenities such as a pillow menu, in-room Bose music systems and a nightly “urban fee” that includes daily passes to the adjacent YMCA, coffee and tea service and high-speed wifi. The Americano Restaurant & Bar serves seasonal, locally sourced dishes that you can enjoy on the outdoor patio, along with sweeping views of the bay.
Four Seasons is synonymous with luxury, and this outpost is no different. The five-star SoMa hotel includes an in-house spa featuring an extensive menu of massage and body treatments. The MKT Restaurant-Bar boasts sustainable seafood and craft cocktails with a California twist while giving visitors 180-degree views of Market Street and Downtown.
The Park Central San Francisco is within walking distance of the best museums in the city and Oracle Park and a short walk to Union Square, the Financial District and the Embarcadero. It offers a complimentary hour of wine and hors d’oeuvres seven days a week, and the MaSo restaurant gives visitors the option of à la carte and buffet dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
The W pairs an eco-conscious mindset with the brand’s signature sleek design. In the lobby, you’ll find hollow cubes of vivid-blue lighting and an art installation reminiscent of jellyfish. Things are equally artsy up on the roof, where a curling metal sculpture, Pneumatic Dreamer, is on display. Gilded headboards in the rooms nod to the gold-mining past of the city, while energy-efficient lighting and motion sensors preserve energy. The hotel keeps bees, whose honey is used in the cocktails they serve at the bar. There’s also a state-of-the-art fitness center with color-changing lights and the farm-to-table restaurant Trace.
Chloe Byrne contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.