Famed for it’s easy-going atmosphere, pristine sun-drenched beaches and buzzing boardwalks, it’s easy to see why thousands of visitors to Los Angeles flock to Venice Beach. Named for its canals and ocean front walk, today Venice Beach is home to a selection of cultural curiosities, from modern murals to maverick stores and from select street performers to famous skate parks. With that individuality in mind, we’ve put together some of the best boutique hotels for you to choose from on your next trip to the electrifying Venice Beach, California.
Based just off the world famous Venice Beach Boardwalk and filled with the easy SoCal charm, Hotel Erwin has been a top destination in Venice for nearly 50 years. A firm favourite for California natives and first time visitors to the sunshine state, the Erwin with its kooky lodgings is the perfect base for exploring the city. Outside its carefully crafted rooms, the Erwin aims to provide nothing but chill vibes with it’s excellent rooftop lounge, homemade Venice way pizza and seasonal cocktail selections.
An intimate hotel just a short trip from Venice Beach, the Inn at Playa del Ray is perfect for relaxing respites and action-packed weekends alike. With a premium placed on relaxation, the hotel offers homemade breakfasts and an in-house massage service; you can also book a wine and cheese picnic. If you’d prefer to get your pulse racing, the guest house has a range of hikes, bikes and kayaking available to explore the area’s abundant natural beauty.
The expansive Edition in West Hollywood provides a retreat that allows guests to focus on their wellness and beauty from within at its spa and fitness centre. Found just off West Sunset Boulevard, the Edition is home to over 200 expertly furnished rooms, suites and penthouses. For a truly memorable experience, be sure to check out The Roof at sunset, a peaceful place to take in the amazing cityscape below.
Found in the middle of one of the city’s busiest shopping districts, Melrose Avenue, the Palihotel Melrose has the best of LA right on its doorstep. A favourite amongst professionals coming into the city and locals looking for a staycation, Palihotel aims to deliver an authentic neighbourhood guesthouse in the middle of bustling LA. Each room is fitted out with an extraordinarily comfortable custom-made bed and an inbuilt tablet for easy communication and daily housekeeping services.
One of the most famous hotels in California, the Roosevelt has welcomed some of Hollywood’s biggest names for nearly 100 years. Notable guests to this LA landmark include Marilyn Monroe, Charlie Chaplin and even Ernest Hemingway. Today the hotel offers its guests every bit of the glamour and glitz that made it famous, with a host of beautifully furnished rooms and suites available. For an extra special experience, book into one of the luxurious tropical Cabana Rooms, just a short walk from the famed David Hockney pool.
A stone’s throw away from the lively Sunset Boulevard, the Beverly Terrance, or “BT” as it’s known to its neighbours, gives its guests a refined rest stop for discovering the nearby city. The guest house has a European sensibility with its thoughtful decor and a staff willing to go above and beyond to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Each room is decked out with premium toiletries, flat-screen HD TVs and a complimentary continental breakfast for every guest. If you’re looking for a bite to eat, head down to the inhouse restaurant Cafe Amici, which offers a traditional Italian menu which can be enjoyed alfresco on the sun-kissed patio.
Frequently touted as one of the best hotels in Los Angeles and a top award winner, the Proper Hotel in Santa Monica offers guests an unrivaled stay in southern California. The Santa Monica offering of the popular Proper Hotel group, the hotel stretches across Wilshire Boulevard and is just a short stroll from the nearby beach. The hotel’s facilities make it hard for guests to leave, with an exclusive rooftop pool, a beautiful outdoor restaurant and a world-class spa offering personalised massages and treatments. Not only that, but the hotel is just a short trip to a fantastic mix of farmers’ markets, prime shopping and some of the best dining in the city.
For more quirky options, discover our guide to the best historic hotels near Hollywood, or for a romantic place to stay check out our pick of the most romantic hotels in Los Angeles, and book now on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.