Sacramento, the capital of California, has much to offer, whether you’re looking to delve into its Gold Rush history, check out the California State Railroad Museum or bone up on famous Californians at the California Hall of Fame. Luckily, the city is also home to many luxurious hotels. Here’s Culture Trip’s pick of the best hotels in Sacramento, ranging from revamped historical properties to contemporary chains – all bookable with Culture Trip.
California lawmakers fuss and fight over policies at the Capitol, but at this personable inn just a block away the ambience is affable and serene. The 37 rooms sport a classy white-grey-black color scheme and wrap around a glass-roofed atrium perfect for a wake-me-up cup of Starbucks. Sitting on an oak tree-lined street, this Sacramento hotel is also a handy launchpad for shoppers, museum hoppers and basketball fans. Frontier-flavored Old Sacramento and the riverfront are also within walking distance.
This Sacramento hotel is a handy option for those wishing to stay near the airport, and not only because of the free shuttle service. The airy living room-style lobby radiates a warm welcome thanks to an abundance of leafy plants, a gas fireplace and such cool designer furniture as olive-green wing chairs. Your body will land on pillow-top mattresses in uncluttered rooms, perhaps after a session in the round-the-clock gym or laps in the outdoor pool. Downtown Sacramento is a 10-minute drive away.
One of the newest hotels in Sacramento, this midtown crashpad was the brainchild of long-time local restaurateur Randy Paragary. Part of Hilton’s Tapestry Collection, the six-story property has 105 rooms calibrated to the needs of on-the-go travelers. Think ultra-comfy beds, a big TV and blackout curtains. There’s a lounge-bar to ease you into the night, but the hotel’s true heart beats at the on-site Cafe Bernardo, which has delighted locals and guests with classic and contemporary riffs on global soul food for over a quarter century.
Views of the white-domed California State Capitol steal the show at this 505-room Sacramento hotel that’s also a hop, skip and jump from the convention center. Despite its business-DNA, it does not lack in fun diversions. Swim laps in the pool, limber up in the 24-hour gym, explore the memorial-studded Capitol Park or kick back with a movie in your generously proportioned room. Feeling peckish? Report to retro-chic Dawson’s Steakhouse or the high-ceilinged Amourath 1819 for regional fare and drinks next to flickering fireplaces.
Rubbing rafters with the Golden 1 Center, this sleek Sacramento hotel injects plenty of sass and sophistication into downtown. Pick up on the vibe on the rooftop deck where a sparkling pool shares space with a restaurant-bar that’s a locally adored hive of activity – and not only on concert or Kings’ home game nights. Cap the day with farm-to-fork bites, local craft beers or meticulously mixed cocktails, then drift off to dreamland in rooms dressed in soothing browns and grays, inspired by the Sierra Nevada landscape.
Andrea Schulte-Peevers contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.