San Francisco is brimming with mobile dining options, offering everything from reinterpreted Taiwanese street-food and Filipino-Mexican fusion to vegan sorbets and crème brûlée. Whilst many of the Bay’s food trucks congregate for mobile markets, most tour neighborhoods on a weekly or even daily basis, listing locations on their websites. Read on to discover the top 10 San Francisco food trucks, offering opportunities to eat well when restricted by time.
Garden Creamery is the brainchild of confectioner Erin Lang, emerging from her childhood passion for all things sweet. Encompassing ice-cream, gelato and sorbet, Garden Creamery sources organic dairy products and produces entirely plant-based sorbets sweetened only with rich swirls of organic agave syrup. Frozen specialties range from classics such as a vanilla ice cream oatmeal cookie sandwich to the more exotic coconut ice-cream mound and the salted caramel mousse. Soft serve options cover all of the bases, featuring familiar favorites such as mint, strawberry, vanilla, chocolate and mango to avant-garde Japanese milk coffee, black sesame and matcha. Vegans can also enjoy a selection of frozen treats, from earl grey to spiced chai sorbet.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The team behind the Bacon Bacon food truck have revolutionized the approach to bacon. Offering bacon prepared in a surprising variety of forms, this food truck promises everything from the classic bacon burger to the bacon-lined grilled cheese. For dessert, Bacon Bacon produces decadent sticks of chocolate covered with nut encrusted bacon and accompanied by bags of bacon caramel corn. For a romantic treat for true devotees to the salty snack, why not buy a bacon bouquet for a taste of the eccentric?
Brass Knuckles packs a punch when it comes to flavor, offering unique combinations and textures via original recipes. From seasonally adapted aqua frescas to the headlining dishes that earned the truck its fame, this particular food vendor is focused on delivering a delicious savory experience. Titling their creations with reference to pop culture, Brass Knuckles’ signature range features the Notorious P.I.G. – a rosemary waffle stuffed with house roasted pork, ham, Swiss cheese and a bacon crisp.
The Chairman Truck
Boasting an excellent local reputation, the Chairman Truck has acquired a considerable fan-base due to its interpretation of Asian street food. The Chairman himself is Hiroo Nagahara, a former executive chef at Bar Charlie in Las Vegas and no stranger to producing high-quality cuisine. Bao – Taiwanese buns – underpin the spicy, savory and often pleasingly rich creations offered from the truck, available baked in large sizes or lightly steamed and small. The Chairman’s famous baos contain anything from tender pork belly accompanied by pickled daikon to duck confit terrine with green papaya and Coca-Cola, braised with cabbage and mustard seeds. The Chairman has flouted protocol by releasing expertly cooked cuisine from the confines of the kitchen onto the San Franciscan streets – a risk executed to great effect.
Crème Brûlée Cart
Despite humble beginnings as a one-man pushcart and torch show in a Mission alley, the concept of the Crème Brûlée Cart has grown into a fleet of trucks touring the length and breadth of San Francisco. Although the concept of the Crème Brûlée Cart remains simple and straightforward, flavor variations are numerous, ranging from salted caramel, dark chocolate Grand Marnier, peanut butter cup, dark chocolate Chambord and toasted coconut, as well as additional seasonal choices such as egg nog and pumpkin spice. Toppings are also available to fully customize the dessert, from whipped cream to chopped nuts, crumble and marshmallows.
Doc’s of the Bay
Named after John Steinbeck’s Cannery Row, a literary classic based in California, Doc’s of the Bay seeks to upscale the classic burger. Citing a comprehensive list of local and organic suppliers – from which the truck sources its buns, beef and beverages – Doc’s demonstrates passion for quality and detail, epitomized by the home-made bell-pepper ketchup. Striving to elevate the basics to the very highest standard, Doc’s only offers a select few menu items, including the Doc’s Classic – a hand-mixed black angus patty with cheese in a challah bun served with specialty pickles. Vegetarians do not go wanting, as the bean burger provides crunch and flavor enough to tempt even the most dedicated of carnivores into trying something different.
Gleaning inspiration from the Levant and the falafel bars of Amsterdam, Liba’s mission is to provide delicious freshness and sustainability. From locally sourced ingredients to the use of compostable take-away packaging and their commitment to recycling cooking oils into biofuel, this falafel truck is both ideologically and literally ethically driven. Perfectly cooked falafels come as sandwich fillings, scattered over salads or as flavorsome sides, sprinkled with sauces such as tahini or chimichurri. Take lunch into your own hands with Liba Falafel’s do-it-yourself bar, consisting of a multitude of toppings to accompany falafel, from various stewed and freshly grated vegetables to braised eggplant, chutneys, pickles, feta cheese and hummus.
Famed for being the country’s first gourmet rotisserie food truck – equipped with only the very best seasonal organic produce and locally farmed, sustainable meats –Roli Roti brings a deliciously slow-cooked approach to fast food. Owned by the son of a Swiss butcher, Roli Roti has conquered the market for quality food crafted for on-the-go diners. With seasonal menus featuring chicken, pork, beef and salmon – as well as numerous, delicious side dishes and salads – Roli Roti truly redefines the notion of street food.
Sam’s Chowdermobile is the mobile extension of the restaurant by the same name in Half Moon Bay, bringing fresh seafood fare from the sleepy Californian coast to the heart of bustling San Francisco. Famed for their award-winning lobster roll that has been featured as one of the top five best sandwiches in America on NBC’s The Today Show, Sam’s also serves up an unrivaled New England-style clam chowder as well as shrimp po’ boys, fried calamari, fish and chips and fish tacos. Sam’s Chowdermobile can also be hired out for clambakes, bringing yet another New England tradition to folk on the West Coast.
Senior Sisig has worked its way into the established circle of San Franciscan food trucks with its distinctive Mexican-meets-Filipino fusion. With a variety of approaches towards a medley of flavors, this unique cuisine demonstrates its Spanish influences through a strong emphasis on perfectly prepared pork. The truck’s name derives from sisig, a Filipino happy-hour dish made from pig’s head. Senior Sisig has upgraded this traditional staple by using fine pork shoulder marinated for a full day in a blend of spices before being carefully charbroiled. Sisig constitutes the majority of the truck’s dishes, poured into ready-to-hold Mexican forms like the taco and the burrito.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.