Home to yellow and blue beaches, Spanish-style architecture, and a variety of ethnically-diverse cuisine, San Diego is full of Instagram bait. Whether you live in the Southern California city or plan to visit, these eight Instagrammers provide unique perspectives on the city — from epic surf shots to cocktail close-ups and fitness inspiration.
Internationally-renowned surf and ocean photographer Aaron Chang calls San Diego home. Chang spent 25 years as a senior photographer at Surfing magazine, traveling the world for his portfolio of water shots. Chang’s Instagram presence varies from images of surfers and swells in San Diego to coastal life from around the globe. He also posts short videos explaining his photography methods to followers, describing the work behind the Insta (hint: sometimes it requires standing on a picnic table for an entire afternoon).
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If looking at images of waves makes you thirsty, check out Efren Agustin’s “drinkstagram” for pictures of the city’s finest cocktails. A self-professed foodie, Agustin took up a fascination for the drink-making craft. In 2016, Agustin decided to dedicate his Instagram feed to his most Insta-worthy craft cocktails. Now, the Instagrammer is a member of the local chapter of the United States Bartenders’ Guild and creates content for spirit brands. Follow him to see creative cocktails from bars around San Diego.
When Joey Guzzino was 14, he started the San Diego Photos account to showcase images of life around the city. But, when it came time for him to move out of California for college, Guzzino sought to preserve his account. So, he masterminded the #MySDPhoto hashtag with the aim of featuring photos taken by both tourists and locals in San Diego. Now, Guzzino has a team of ‘grammers helping him trawl through the locally-popular hashtag on a daily basis, curating a series of “photos that capture traditional scenes of San Diego in new and unique lights.”
California’s notorious pink sunset skies come to life for San Diego’s Alec Basanec. His daily dose of sunset porn provides followers with a native’s perspective on the city’s most scenic hour. Basanec captures the pinks, reds, and oranges that splash across the evening sky. His favorite local spots to shoot include La Jolla, Torrey Pines Gliderport, and Sunset Cliffs.
From shrimp tacos to latte art, San Diego Food Girl’s reputation comes from photographing the city’s best eats. For the past two years, the account has dedicated itself to showcasing the most artistic local cuisines and plates — drinks included. And, her captions provide all the necessary details on where to indulge and capture your own take on the San Diego dish.
Professional surf and landscape photographer Will Holder has a talent for capturing coastal life and the allure of the water. “I love to take photos in the ocean and explore angles and colors that expose the immense beauty in the seemingly ordinary,” he states. Followers can swim vicariously off San Diego’s shores through Holder’s Instagram stream.
When she’s not traveling around the world, luxury travel writer Katie Dillon is based in La Jolla. Her account features the wanderlust and natural givings of San Diego, including her favorite photo spots: the sea lions at La Jolla Cove, Scripps Pier, and the Balboa Park architecture. As her handle suggests, Dillon’s kids often make appearances in her shots.
Coach and marathon runner, Kate Buntenbach is known to shoot her favorite outdoor running spots. Originally from Chicago, Butenbach states that San Diego is a paradise for endurance athletes and surfers. “I don’t plan to ever leave this little beach town bubble,” she says. From Cardiff-by-the-Sea to Balboa Park, you can catch her running across San Diego.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.