Devastated by a series of floods in the mid-19th century, Sacramento made a big move. City officials voted to lift the fledgling city above the floodplain and, using thousands of wagon-loads of earth, they did (there’s still evidence of the restructuring in basements and under boardwalks).
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The new capital city of California had been raised to a new level, literally, but also on the growing nation’s stage. Accordingly, Sacramento got to work building an urban environment that could handle both the flood of Gold Rush hopefuls and the gravity of government business. Some of the city’s most historic structures that are still standing today, date back to those early efforts, while other Sacramento landmarks rose in the years of progress since.
The dramatic vertical lift bridge that connects downtown with West Sacramento was completed in 1935 and soon established itself as one of Sacramento’s signature sites. Designed in the Streamline Moderne style and built by the Department of Public Works, the Tower Bridge was recognized with a national award from the American Institute of Steel Construction in 1936 as the most beautiful bridge built in the previous year. Its industrial beauty shines on today—now coated in gold paint as a nod to Sacramento’s ties to the Gold Rush instead of its original silver—as drivers and pedestrians enjoy its one-of-a-kind expanse daily.
Sacramento architect Edwin Kado looked to the ancient ziggurats of Mesopotamia for inspiration when he designed the unique office building that opened on the banks of the Sacramento River in 1997. The Ziggurat, as it’s known around the city, was built for The Money Store, and today houses the California Department of General Services. But there’s nothing general about the building’s unusual perpendicular lines and pyramid-like shape. Though it’s only been around a couple decades, the Ziggurat’s distinctive profile is essential Sacramento.
California State Capitol
California’s imposing Capitol building is an impressive Neoclassical anchor for downtown Sacramento. The structure, completed in 1874, has served as the state’s seat of government for more than a century. The city hasn’t always been the capital of California, but it’s lived up to the role, right down to the regal dome that tops the Capitol building. Inside the Capitol walls, features like a stained glass interpretation of the state seal and intricate mosaic tile floors make the building even more of a must-see for architecture and history buffs.
In 1926, the Sacramento Elks had outgrown their meeting spaces. The organization erected a 14-story brick and steel tower at the corner of Sacramento’s 11th and J Streets instead. In the years since, Elks Tower has been a popular destination for weddings and events with its restored ballroom and ornate interior details. At one time, it was the city’s tallest building. In 2016, the building owner proposed a plan to turn parts of the tower into a luxury casino and swanky vintage card room, but legal obstacles have gotten in the way of that proposal moving forward.
The stretch of Firehouse Alley that’s home to Old Sacramento is lined with historic buildings given new life in recent decades. When workers first started leaving the city’s original 19th-century waterfront business district, the area fell into disrepair. But a redevelopment plan in the 1960s kicked off efforts to restore the neighborhood to its former glory. Today, Old Sacramento’s 28 acres are crowded with charming historic buildings, museums like the California State Railroad Museum, shops, and restaurants.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.