The Museum of Selfies, which opened on April 1, 2018, in Glendale, won’t judge if a guest simply must snap a selfie; indeed, that’s sort of the point.
Countless photo-friendly installations have opened in the Los Angeles area in the past several months, including Candytopia, The Museum of Ice Cream, and 29 Rooms. These exhibits essentially function like Instagram factories: get in, pose in front of or inside a visually spectacular backdrop, and then share on social media to the envy of all of your friends. Co-creators Tommy Honton and Tair Mamedov’s Museum of Selfies is an on-the-nose parody of such exhibits, while simultaneously being one of them.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Inside, guests will find a mix of photo backdrops and actual selfie knowledge, which includes a historical timeline of the selfie, from petroglyphs to present day. This is, of course, speaking liberally. Some inclusions are self-portraits, while others, like Leonardo da Vinci’s The Mona Lisa, is a portrait of someone else. In this particular section, guests can immerse themselves in a real-life replica of Van Gogh’s bedroom from his painting, Bedroom in Arles. As the exhibit progresses, another installation makes it look like guests are inside a 1920s black-and-white painting.
Elsewhere, placards discuss various types of popular selfies, with venues including the car, the gym, and the bathroom. A VW Bug plastered with mirrors serves as a photo station, as does a gym setting with funhouse mirrors and weights that look heavy, but are quite light.
Artist Colette Miller, the founder of the Global Angel Wings Project, provides a 3-D version of her often-Instagrammed street art wings made from painted tires, while an Iron Throne à la Game of Thrones made entirely of selfie sticks offers a critique on the battle for “social media dominance.” Artist Darel Carey created a room where zigzagging lines of black electrical tape on a white backdrop create a striking photo op, while artist Matt Elson’s Infinity Box allows guests to peer into a mirrored box and see their face reflected many times over. The museum also boasts a 90-foot (27.4-meter) selfie stick, which connects a tablet to a camera on a second-floor mezzanine.
Perhaps the cleverest installation pokes fun at the “bathroom selfie.” A bathroom with bright pink walls seems ordinary, until you realize that the mirror is absent. Instead, an identical bathroom sits opposite. Guests are encouraged to take photos high-fiving or posing in similar positions across from a friend, creating a curious illusion—or, if there’s no one there, acting like you’ve suddenly turned into a vampire.
Of course, the museum does highlight the possible danger of selfies. A screen keeping a running tally of selfie facts notes the number of people who have died trying to get the perfect shot, while another wall shows real signs warning guests not to selfie and drive or selfie on the edges of cliffs. Another installation features three statues: the first upright, the second tipping over, and the third shattered on the floor. This piece was inspired by The 14th Factory art exhibit, which opened in L.A. in 2017. During the show’s run, a woman posing for a photo accidentally tipped over several pieces of art, resulting in some $200,000 in damages.
The Museum of Selfies is open April 1 through May 31, 2018. Tickets are $25 and may be purchased online.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.