Beautiful west-facing beaches, upscale shopping, and countless restaurants and bars mean there’s endless fun to be had in Santa Monica. Here’s how to spend the ideal day, from sunny rides along the beachside bike path to cool nights dancing to hot live music.
To make sure you have plenty of energy for your day, start with breakfast at Urth Cafe. This lively LA hotspot has indoor and outdoor seating and an extensive menu that’s sure to please everybody. For something light, try the cottage parfait (organic puffed gluten-free granola layered with organic Greek yogurt, strawberry jam, mixed berries and seasonal fruit); on the heavier side, the breakfast burrito with organic black beans and mild chipotle, and the prosciutto and cheese panini are both good choices.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Once you’re feeling satisfied, it is time to explore. Take a ride through the beautiful Tongva Park on the way to Downtown Santa Monica and spend a bit more time in the sun. You could even jump onto the Marvin Braude Bike Trail for a chilled beachside ride.
Alternatively, hit Downtown Santa Monica for some serious retail therapy. H&M, Sephora, Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters are just a few of the many shops found at the 3rd Street Promenade, a massive indoor/outdoor shopping center.
When lunchtime hunger pains strike, head over to Bay Cities, an award-winning Italian deli and market that’s been operating in the heart of Santa Monica since 1926. Though there are other sandwiches on the menu, The Godmother – which brings together Genoa salami, mortadella, capicola, ham, prosciutto and provolone together with mustard and peppers on fresh Italian bread – is the shining star. Options for vegetarians and vegans are also available and equally delicious. Lines can be long during lunch, so order ahead to save time.
Afterward, take a stroll on the famous Santa Monica Pier. For a bit of nostalgia, grab an ice cream and ride the Pacific Wheel or the historic carousel. You can also enjoy the exciting twists and turns of the historic West Coaster or a swinging wooden ship known as the Sea Dragon for as little as $5 a ride.
Located south of the pier is the original Muscle Beach. Stop here and check out the locals practicing acro-yoga, then test your own fitness by climbing the rope or swinging on the rings. Muscle Beach has a social atmosphere, making it ideal for people watching or meeting new friends. Test your balance and ask some of the slackliners for a hands-on lesson; they are usually nice and willing – literally – to show you the ropes.
As the sun comes closer to the horizon, kick off your evening with a Santa Monica sunset. Shutters on the Beach is the place to enjoy the colorful spectacle in style. Conveniently, happy hour is from 4pm until 6pm, so you can enjoy a berry mojito with Caliche Rum, lime and fresh berries for $9 while you take in the sunset.
After your drinks, head back to your hotel or Airbnb and get refreshed for dinner at the Water Grill. Though the dress code is casual, take this opportunity to change out of those flip-flops and into something smart, as this will be a dinner to remember.
The extensive raw bar offers lobster, swordfish and scallops, but that’s just the beginning. The highly elevated menu changes daily and features handcrafted cocktails and local draught beers that pair perfectly with the locally caught seafood delicacies.
Begin your after-dinner antics at The Bungalow. This stylish lounge is located directly across from the beach atop the bluffs of Santa Monica’s Veteran Memorial Park. With mismatched tables, armchairs and couches, partying here feels like stepping into someone’s home. Play a few games of billiards, or challenge a friend to a fast-paced game of ping-pong in the garden.
When you’re ready to move on, hit up Harvelle’s. This moody bar and music venue has been entertaining Santa Monica since 1931. From blues bands and famed local acts to spoken-word poetry and sultry burlesque dance shows, the calendar of events keeps this venue crowded with unique characters.
End your night at Basement Tavern, a hip underground cocktail lounge serving up retro drinks and live music. With an all-night happy hour that lasts until 2am on Sunday and Monday, there’s no need for the party to stop until well after midnight.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.