Singer-songwriter Nancy Sanchez takes us on a tour of her beloved Los Angeles, revealing its best-kept secrets, music venues and restaurants.
Mexican-American singer Nancy Sanchez is a proud Angeleno. Born in Mexico and raised in Southern California, she has lived in East Los Angeles since 2016. Her music, including her most recent full-length album La Gran Civilización (2020), reflects her journey as a Mexican-American woman and immigrant. Blending pop, jazz and Latin influences, she creates music that is distinctly her own, echoing the rich and varied music scene of Los Angeles.
How would you describe your music?
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
“I describe my music as Latin alternative meets regional Mexican. I grew up in the mariachi world, my father is a mariachi player, and I learned how to play and sing mariachi styles before anything else. Later on, I studied music at Cal State LA, where I studied jazz – I love singing jazz. LA can expose you to so many different styles of music.”
What inspired you to become a musician?
“I believe I was born with a musical spirit, and I was very inspired by my father – although coming from Mexico he wasn’t able to take his pursuit of music as far as I have taken mine. So I’ve always known never to take living in America for granted. Being an immigrant here has given me the chance not only to live in a new country but to take advantage of all the opportunities that come with living in a city and a state that has so much music.”
Tell us about your album La Gran Civilización.
“My album is a representation of all the music that I love. The title track means “the great civilisation”, which refers to the great city of Mexico City before the Spaniards conquered and when the Aztecs and the Mexicas ruled. I wanted to create this idea of Mexican greatness that still exists in my community and in my people. We come from gods; we come from the city of greatness – to be proud of the culture, love your history, and thrive no matter what happens, no matter what obstacle.”
What do you love about LA?
“LA is a melting pot of cultures and foods from around the world – and as a Mexican-American, I am proud to live in a city that showcases my culture. The music is also very diverse – you can see a different band every night of the week – you can listen to a mariachi band on a Friday night and then jazz on a Saturday. It’s very multicultural.”
Tell us about East Los Angeles.
“East Los Angeles has been at the centre of many Chicano and Mexican-American movements: the Chicano Moratorium took place down the street in the 1970s. For me, East LA represents Mexican-American culture – the neighbourhood has so much history – and living here makes me feel like I am part of history.”
Where do you get inspired?
“My favourite spot in the city – and where I have shot multiple music videos – is Mariachi Plaza, which is in the centre of Boyle Heights. Mariachis stand there and wait to be picked to play at events – whether it’s a quinceañera, a birthday party, a baptism, or a funeral – and it’s also where we have mariachi festivals.”
What else is there to do nearby?
“Surrounding the plaza are shops that I go to almost weekly; La Casa Del Musico is where I buy guitar tuners, strings, and vihuela strings – I play a small mariachi guitar called a vihuela. I also get my suits made at La Casa Del Mariachi – it’s a famous shop where lots of mariachis come to get their wonderful, traditional Mexican charro suits.”
Places to eat and drink?
“Yeya’s is a mom-and-pop restaurant that I absolutely adore and have been going to since I was little. I usually go for breakfast and order chilaquiles, a traditional Mexican dish of tortilla chips drenched in salsa, served with two fried eggs and cheese. Casa Fina, a restaurant owned by the writer Josefina López – who wrote Real Women Have Curves – is another one of my favourites in Boyle Heights. I especially love their margaritas!”
What are your favourite coffee shops?
“I am a coffee person, and I try to support local coffee shops as much as possible. My favourite coffee shop is Ground Up Coffee in East Los Angeles, borderline Montebello. It’s Latinx-owned, and I go almost daily for a honey oat-milk latte. It’s small, with earth tone colours and greenery – the outside feels cosy like you are on your own terrace.”
Any other hidden gems?
“Tamales Liliana’s is a hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant that makes the best tamales in East LA: I order Queso Con Rajas, a tamale with cheese and sliced peppers. It is the most delicious thing in the world. The restaurant is also in front of the Gold Line – one of the famous train lines in the city – which takes you from East Los Angeles all the way to Downtown LA.”
Favorite place to see live music?
“Resident, where I had my CD release party for my 2017-18 album American Novio, is one of my favourite venues in the Arts District. They have a food truck, bar and a little patio where you can hang out and have a bite to eat and drink. There is also an enclosed stand-up music venue; it has a wonderful stage, a great sound system and a DJ most nights.”
… and to dance?
“La Cita Bar is a classic Latinx joint, where you can watch a band play and dance the night away. They have themed nights, too – my favourite is cumbia night [an Afro-Caribbean music genre originally from Colombia]. It’s also near Angels Flight, one of the oldest trolleys in LA. The trolley goes up Bunker Hill, and in the early 1900s, it used to be a nickel to ride, and now it’s a dollar. When you are riding it, it feels like you are going back in time – and you get a little glimpse of old Los Angeles.”
Find out more and start planning your trip now by visiting discoverlosangeles.com
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.