Boochcraft—a higher-alcohol kombucha—is quickly becoming a Southern California favorite. With plans in motion to expand to other states, the boozy tea looks poised to become a nationwide trend.
A hub for both craft breweries and healthy living, San Diego is unsurprisingly at the forefront of the kombucha craze. An increasing number of brewers are specializing in making the fermented tea, and kombucha is now offered on tap in bars and restaurants throughout the city. One local company, Boochcraft, is appealing to both the health and happy hour crowd with its flavored, alcoholic kombucha.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
“A big part of our incubation was being able to do it in a town that was such a big craft beer town,” says co-founder Adam Hiner. “The consumers here are very excited to try new things.”
Regular kombucha naturally has trace amounts of alcohol, but with an ABV of 7 percent, Boochcraft is as alcoholic as a typical IPA, San Diego’s classic craft beer. “Seven percent is a number that I think people are pretty accustomed to when they’re drinking craft beer,” says Hiner.
The carbonated beverage is naturally sweetened with cold-pressed juices and herbs, coming in unique flavors like “grapefruit-hibiscus-heather,” and “apple-lime-jasmine.”
Like regular kombucha, Boochcraft is also gluten free and contains probiotics. “All the same health benefits that you would find in regular kombucha are also present in our product,” says Hiner. But he is quick to warn against over-indulging: “Of course, drinking [excessive] amounts of alcohol is never good for you.”
Hiner first had the idea for a kombucha brewery while running his restaurant Local Habitat. He started making regular kombucha in small batches and serving it on tap. “I saw the demand for it,” he says. “I realized it would be potentially a good business idea to have a brewery, but didn’t have the resources at the time.”
Several years later, Hiner had sold the restaurant and mentioned the idea of a kombucha brewery to his friend, Todd Kent, while they were bouncing around business ideas. “He really loved the idea, and we got my brother-in-law [Andrew Clark] involved pretty much immediately.”
While kombucha sold in grocery stores is typically non-alcoholic with an ABV of less than 0.5 percent, Clark, who has a home-brewing background, suggested they make their kombucha stand out by producing a high-alcohol content version. “We were pretty early on in the idea process and we just ran with it,” says Hiner.
Since its launch in 2016, Boochcraft has grown exponentially in popularity, partnering with Stone Brewing Co. for distribution in Southern California and Maui. The beverage is currently sold in 22-ounce bottles at grocery stores in California and Hawaii, and can also be found on tap at restaurants and bars.
Soon though, Boochcraft will grow its reach even further. They are currently in the midst of a 10-fold expansion of their facilities, which will allow them to brew 40,000 barrels a year. With the increased production, they plan to expand to additional states, launch new flavors and release a 12-ounce can version.
But Boochcraft isn’t completely alone in its niche. There are a few other alcoholic kombucha brewers on the market, including Wild Tonic in Arizona, Unity Vibration in Michigan and Kombrewcha in New York.
“We feel like there’s probably plenty of room for a little bit of competition considering that the craft brew world has 100 breweries just in San Diego alone, and 1,000 different brands on the shelf,” says Hiner.
With sales of kombucha and other fermented beverages growing 37 percent in the U.S. in 2017, interest in the fermented tea is unlikely to fade anytime soon.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.