With its rich history and beautiful art-deco architecture, Pasadena offers a quiet and sophisticated escape from the large crowds and busy streets of Downtown LA, 10mi (16km) away. Famous for the annual Rose Bowl college football game and accompanying parade, many visit for game day; however, there is plenty to explore within the city itself – from the Norton Simon Museum to Nasa’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Leave your stress at the check-in desk at these top hotels in Pasadena, California – all bookable with Culture Trip.
Taking over a Victorian house, this hotel in Pasadena is a local cultural landmark. Floral designs and draped curtains dominate the rooms, one of which – the Anna Bissell room – features an antique high-back chair and footstool that is said to have been Albert Einstein’s favorite smoking spot when he stayed here. It’s all purposefully quaint; if you’re into period design, you’ll be in heaven.
This Pasadena hotel has lovely rooms with separate living, sleeping and work areas – ideal for longer stays and workations. Blackout curtains and dimmer switches ensure optimal rest, leaving you energized to explore Old Pasadena, right on your doorstep. Fill up on burgers, Caesar salads or turkey pesto sandwiches at the on-site diner before heading out to discover the area’s theaters, museums and retro arcades.
Comfortable rooms can be found at this functional hotel in neighboring Rosemead. Start the day right with a hearty American breakfast before hitting the road to explore Downtown LA or Old Pasadena, both a 20-minute drive away. The family suite is great if you’re traveling with the kids, and the hotel is within walking distance of a number of dining options, ranging from Hawaiian barbecue to Mexican to classic American.
This boutique hotel in Glendale sits at the junction of Burbank, Pasadena and Eagle Rock. Each room is decorated with local artists’ works, which pop thanks to the calming neutral backdrop of deep browns and whites. Olia Restaurant serves Mediterranean brunch with a Californian twist. For craft cocktails and snacks with gorgeous views of the Verdugo Mountains, head to the seventh-story bar, Rooftop at the Glenmark.
This 10-room bed and breakfast takes over a historic craftsman home built in 1910. Perched on a hillside, it boasts beautiful views of the San Gabriel Mountains. The classically styled rooms come with padded headboards and plush armchairs, and some have private balconies. Downtown LA is 7mi (11km) away, while Old Town Pasadena is 3.5mi (5.6km), or a 10-minute drive away. Don’t have a car? The metro is within walking distance.
Dating back to the late-19th-century Gilded Age, this luxury resort sits in 23 acres (9ha) of picturesque grounds, with a backdrop of the San Gabriel Mountains. Inside, chandeliers and polished-marble floors give it a European sophistication. Rooms at the Pasadena hotel range from spacious doubles to entire cottages and standalone suites. A draw in its own right, the Chuan spa combines new-age treatments with principles of ancient Chinese medicine.
This treasured historical landmark, which opened in 1926, features a Mediterranean-revival design infused with a tasteful postmodern flair. The colorful, imaginative rooms boast a modern aesthetic and state-of-the-art amenities, including 50in smart TVs and super-fast wifi. Located directly on the Rose Parade route, many rooms offer direct views of the annual event. Walk, cycle or take the complimentary tuk-tuk to the Pasadena Playhouse, the Rose Bowl and the Norton Simon Museum. Check out our article for more adventures you can have in LA.
This centrally located Pasadena hotel is within walking distance of the trendy shops and restaurants in historic Old Town Pasadena. Rooms have a redwood motif with muted green and tan accents, creating a tranquil ambience. Take a dip in the heated rooftop pool with magnificent views of the surrounding town, then attend a concert or event at the nearby Rose Bowl.
Ideally positioned minutes from Old Pasadena, the Convention Center and the Rose Bowl, the Hilton Pasadena offers convenience in a clean and comforting setting. Grab a coffee at the on-site coffee shop, enjoy breakfast at the restaurant or relax in the outdoor heated pool and hot tub. Enjoy serene views of the adjacent San Gabriel Mountains from the balcony of your deluxe room, before grabbing dinner at the Corner Craft Kitchen, with its extensive Californian wine list and sharing plates.
Take it slow close to Old Town with your stay at this Pasadena hotel. The rooms here provide space to unwind after a long day of exploring the historic district. If a laid-back itinerary is desired, spend hours by the outdoor pool, cool off with a skate at the Pasadena Ice Skating Center, or settle in for lunch and a movie at the dine-in IPIC cinema. Before heading out for dinner, allow the front desk to make you reservations at a local restaurant to receive exclusive perks, like discounts or even free food.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.