Three days in Los Angeles will always be a whirlwind affair. Hike semi-urban trails for city views, paddleboard along the Venice Canals, sample global cuisines at Grand Central Market – there are endless opportunities for surprise during your next Los Angeles adventure. To help you make the most of your time, we’ve curated an itinerary packed with all the ingredients necessary for an unforgettable vacation.
What is the best way to travel in LA?
Most travelers prefer to fly into the main air hub, Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). And while renting a vehicle is always advisable when visiting the second-largest city in the US, recent improvements in public transport have made this great metropolis easier to navigate than ever before. Cab and ride-sharing services also offer a relatively inexpensive and convenient alternative – especially if you’re planning an evening of cocktails and care-free revelry.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hotel June has the perfect address for an urban adventure – it’s a short distance from LAX and only 4mi (6.4km) from Venice Beach. Inside the 250-room property – designed in the 1960s and revamped in 2020 – is a beach-chic aesthetic, bright and airy communal spaces, and rooms featuring plush Italian linens, white oak beds and Aesop toiletries. On the rooftop deck is a heated outdoor pool, firepits for cozy gatherings under the stars, and a poolside restaurant with a Baja-inspired menu, serving spicy cauliflower nachos and agave nectar-infused margaritas.
Have a few extra hours to spare? Head to the beach for a pre-booked surfing lesson or rent a bike and explore the scenic Marvin Braude Bike Trail, a 22mi (35km) paved pathway that weaves along the coast, stretching between the beaches of Will Rogers State in the north and Torrance County in the south.
A stone’s throw from Venice Boardwalk is Dudley Market, a restaurant and wine bar where locals soak up the relaxed atmosphere and dine on freshly caught seafood. It’s helmed by Conner Mitchell, and the understated décor exudes California cool, with exposed brick walls, wooden tables and an outdoor patio with beach views. Expect to feast on succulent oysters served on the half shell, whole fried fish, gourmet burgers and seasonal vegetables, paired with a bottle from the eclectic wine list.
While LA might be known for retail destinations such as Rodeo Drive and Century City, the flea and vintage markets here offer some of the most exciting shopping in the city. Mingle with vintage sellers, emerging designers and bargain hunters at Los Feliz Flea, a free-to-attend market held each Saturday from 11am to 5pm in a trendy neighborhood bordering Griffith Park. Although it’s much more intimate than the sprawling Rose Bowl Flea Market, there are still plenty of treasures among the overflowing piles of vintage denim, stacks of vinyl records and assorted bric-a-brac. The market also has free parking and multiple food and beverage options if you need refreshments while shopping.
The crown jewel of Downtown LA is arguably the Arts District, a neighborhood brimming with galleries, boutiques and restaurants, just a short drive or cycle from Grand Central Market. Make your way to the LA outpost of Hauser & Wirth upon arrival. The gallery, housed in a former flour mill, spans more than 100,000sqft (9,290sqm) and features exhibition spaces, an open-air courtyard, restaurant, and a public garden with herb beds and a chicken coop. After an afternoon of culture, make your last stop Perch, a rooftop restaurant and bar with some of the best views of Downtown LA. Reserve a table on their outdoor deck for dinner and bask in the last of the day’s sunshine, accompanied by a cocktail or bottle of wine.
Find out more and start planning your trip now by visiting discoverlosangeles.com
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.