Scattered across Silicon Valley are a handful of dim sum restaurants. Similar to Spanish tapas, dim sum offers a variety of unique flavors. Metal carts snake through restaurant tables, stacked with bamboo baskets of steamed buns, dumplings, rolls and tarts. With the second largest population of Asian Americans in the United States, it’s no wonder the Bay Area is home to some of the best dim sum restaurants.
Ocean Delight Seafood Restaurant
A favorite among the locals, this Ocean Delight has been operating since 1986. The taro buns, chicken feet, shumai (pork and shrimp dumpling) and har gaw (shrimp dumpling) dishes are all benchmark choices. Though service may sometimes be spotty due to the small number of staff, sitting closer to the kitchen usually fixes the issue and even allows for first pick on the dim sum. The friendly service, top-notch dishes and cheap prices are all reasons to make a trip to this south San Jose spot.
Ocean Delight Seafood Restaurant, 5400 Monterey St, San Jose, CA, +1 408 281 3838
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Dynasty Chinese Seafood Restaurant
For larger groups of people, Dynasty Chinese Seafood Restaurant is a good formal option. The large round tables are paired with Lazy Susans, more reminiscent of the white tablecloth restaurants that are popular in China. Attention to detail is especially apparent in the sparkling porcelain dinnerware and quality of food, which makes for an even better dining experience. Be sure to try the fried taro dumplings and the Peking duck, along with the standard fare of dim sum. Whether ordering in Chinese or English, the service is friendly, quick and accommodating.
Dynasty Chinese Seafood Restaurant, 10123 N Wolfe Rd #1688, Cupertino, CA, +1 408 286 6668
Saigon Seafood Harbor Restaurant
A popular dim sum restaurant is Saigon Seafood Harbor Restaurant is located close to the peninsula in Sunnyvale. Lines start forming well before lunch. The swarms of people outside this sport prove that it is one of the best in town, especially on the weekends. Popular dishes here include the har gow and shumai, shrimp based dim sum that is steamed until the rice skin turns translucent and tender. Don’t be afraid to approach the service carts to order, since the service can get chaotic. It’s also recommended to call beforehand to make a reservation and skip the line.
Saigon Seafood Harbor Restaurant, 1135 Lawrence Expy Sunnyvale, CA, +1 408 734 2828
Joy Luck Place
For an authentic experience, pay a visit to Joy Luck Place in Cupertino. Located in a predominantly Asian neighborhood, the restaurant offers more consistent service compared to other dim sum restaurants. Additionally, it’s popular among the community for its numerous options and close proximity to the 99 Ranch Market. Try the mango shrimp rolls, baked BBQ buns and fried black sesame balls, served piping hot from the kitchen.
Joy Luck Palace, 10911 N Wolfe Rd Cupertino, CA, +1 408 255 6988
Fu Lam Mum
This restaurant is great for a late night dim sum fix. Some popular options include the daikon radish cake, shumai and beef noodle rolls, all perfectly seasoned and made to order. This location also serves a variety of tofu dishes that are fried, baked or steamed as a vegetarian option. Besides the delicious food and cheap prices, Fu Lam Mum is a convenient, fast, clean and roomy alternative to other dim sum restaurants in the Bay Area.
Fu Lam Mum, 153 Castro St Mountain View, CA, +1 650 967 1689
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.