8 Things To Know About Max Azria
BCBG Runway ©Jaguar MENA/Flickr
Max Azria is a major fashion designer and the creator of the popular label, BCBG Max Azria. His claim to fame is high fashion designs at affordable price points, especially when it comes to cocktail wear, evening gowns, and dress staples like the LBD (little black dress). Based in Los Angeles since he moved here decades ago, his contemporary women’s clothing line as well as his couture line, Max Azria Atelier, have since earned him a reputation amongst hollywood celebrities and in turn, the media. Here are some essential facts to know about this prolific, humble top designer.
- Azria is originally from Tunisia, a small north African country on the western Mediterranean Sea. He later moved to Paris, France with his family, where he grew up.
- He moved to Los Angeles in 1981 after spending years in Paris designing clothes for other fashion houses. However, his career really took off when he started a chain of boutiques in LA geared towards contemporary women’s apparel called Jess.
Max Azria at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week | ©David Shankbone/ Flickr
- His Parisian influences later inspired him to acquire the bankrupt French label, Herve Leger, and re-launch it as his own. He gained renown for revitalizing the fashion house and encouraging notable socialites to take up the trend.
BCBG Runway | ©Jaguar MENA/Flickr
- He was the first American designer in New York fashion week to launch three lines all in the same year, in 2008. Impressive, even for a self-professed workaholic.
- His successful label, BCBG, actually stands for ‘Bon Chic, Bon Genre’, which means ‘good style, good attitude’ in French. It’s an appropriate motto for the well-meaning, conscientious culture of his admirable brand.
BCBG Storefront in Toronto | ©Saku Takakusaki/ Flickr
- He created a line for juniors and young girls called BCBGeneration, along with then-Disney star Miley Cyrus which sold at the bargain retail giant, Walmart. He even personally designed her ensembles for one of her musical tours.
- He has 3 kids with his first wife, whom he divorced in favor of his creative officer for the entire BCBG Max Azria Group, and now has a daughter with this new partner. The fashion house in his name includes over twenty esteemed brands.
Max Azria at Fashion Week Tunis | ©Jaguar MENA/Flickr
- He now resides with his family in the historic Holmby Hills area, in a house that was once owned by the prominent screenwriter Sidney Sheldon. It is adjacent to Westwood and Beverly Hills near UCLA and shares the neighborhood with none other than the Playboy Mansion.