Long after it lured the 49ers in search of gold, California is still all about the rush – particularly if you’re into the crazy coasters found in the amusement parks. Some offer white-knuckle rides; others, while less frenziedly exhilarating, still promise a holiday high. From the wild water thrills of Splash Mountain in Disneyland to nostalgic big dippers and the Halloween-themed Knott’s Scary Farm, there’s never a dull moment at the finest theme parks in California.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Knott’s Berry Farm
Where once stood a demure berry farm and fruit stand, now there’s this 160-acre (65ha) wild child, which opened in the 1920s and counts today among the most-visited amusement parks in North America. Knott’s Berry Farm is in Buena Park, not far from Disneyland, with 10 rollercoasters stealing the limelight among the Western-themed attractions and shows. As it has since 1972, the park draws adoring crowds with an annual Halloween event, Knott’s Scary Farm, for which it is converted into a nightmarish vision of haunted houses, spooky mazes and monsters lurking in every corner.
Children and young-at-heart adults lap up the magic oozing from the original Disneyland Park in Anaheim. With world-class dining, year-round special events including Pixar Fest and spectacular shows, there’s something to enjoy however old you are. In the summer, you can cool off on Splash Mountain or journey under the sea on the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. Other iconic attractions have been in operation for six decades. Look out for Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride, Peter Pan’s Flight and the Jungle Cruise – now a live-action movie – and Snow White’s Scary Adventures.
Universal Studios Hollywood
Cinema buffs love this legend, handily close to Hollywood. Universal Studios brings together motion-simulator rides, live shows and exhilarating 3D attractions that honor some of the most famous movies the production company has ever made. Feel the chill of London on a scorching Southern California day at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. And join the ever-popular Studio Tour to discover what goes on behind the scenes of a blockbuster: aboard a tram, you’ll pass sets and props from blockbusters including Jaws and Psycho, as well as the hit TV series Desperate Housewives.
Six Flags Magic Mountain
In the outer northern suburbs of Los Angeles, amusement park Six Flags Magic Mountain delivers over 260 acres (105ha) of uncut adrenaline. Comic-book fans love the superhero theme and rides featuring their favorite characters, including Batman, Green Lantern and Superman. Push your limits on the rollercoasters – 19 of them, including the world’s fastest stand-up (Riddler’s Revenge) and longest hybrid (Twisted Colossus). The DC Superheroes Drop of Doom VR is strictly for the fearless: strap on VR headsets for a 360-degree view of Superman and Wonder Woman fighting Lex Luthor before plunging down the West Coast’s highest drop tower.
Disney California Adventure Park
Close to the entrance of Disneyland is its younger-sibling park California Adventure. Eight different lands spotlight all-time favorite Disney and Pixar characters, from Cars and Toy Story to The Little Mermaid, The Incredibles and A Bug’s Life. Feeling bold? Join the Guardians of the Galaxy crew on the accelerated drop-tower experience Mission: Breakout!, which in 2017 replaced the old Twilight Zone Tower of Terror ride. While Disneyland has the fireworks show, each night at California Adventure the lake comes to life for The World of Color, a spectacle of water and light.
California’s Great America
In Santa Clara, an hour south of San Francisco, this Bay Area amusement park is a hit among devotees, particularly on hot summer days – you can hop over to cool off at South Bay Shores water park before returning to work your way through the attractions. There are more than 50, from old-school carousels to high-speed rollercoasters. A thrillseeker’s favorite is the Gold Striker: “Where the Gold Rush meets an adrenaline rush.” Opened in 2013, rising to just over 108ft (33m) and hitting speeds of nearly 54mph (87kph), it’s the tallest, fastest wooden coaster in Northern California.
Why have a weekend in Carlsbad, north of San Diego? If you’re a fan of the world’s most famous interlocking toy bricks, it’ll soon click into place: the city is home to LEGOLAND California Resort, which comprises an aquarium and water park as well as the brand’s signature theme park. As you’d expect, rides are aimed mostly at younger children, but there’s plenty to entertain adults: among the impressive constructions is a mini-me Las Vegas Strip and six scenes from the Star Wars franchise, the building of which involved more than 1.5m bricks. Whatever age you are, don’t miss the tour of the LEGO factory to discover how the whole phenomenon began, and how the bricks are made.
Aquatica San Diego
Give your flippers full immersion at Aquatica San Diego. Ride the Walhalla Wave on a raft big enough for the whole family, and then sail down the Woohoo Falls alone through the dark tunnel waterslide. The little guppies will love splashing in the Slippity Dippity waterfall area while you lay back and cruise the 1,250ft (380m) Loggerhead Lane lazy river.
Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
Sure, the most new-fangled theme parks today are amazing – but there’s no substitute for the old-school fun to be had at places such as Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. Historic landmark rides to give you butterflies include the Giant Dipper and Looff Carousel; surrounding them are two dozen carnival games sure to bring back nostalgic memories. Other attractions include a laser maze, fright walk, arcade, miniature golf and a bowling alley, but if you’re like us, you’ll spend all day trying to win yourself a giant stuffed animal at the ring toss booth.
In the shadow of Anaheim’s major theme parks sits Adventure City, an amusement park delivering twice the fun at half the price – and with a fraction of the crowds. Despite an ambience that’s perfectly suited to little ones, family-friendly Adventure City doesn’t stint on the magic or the thrills and spills. A 45ft (14m) tower drop gives kids a bird’s-eye view of the park – they can plan the day’s agenda based on what they see, from the petting farm and mini Ferris wheel to the carousel, train and rock wall.
Nick Dauk contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.