Located east of Berkeley and Oakland, Walnut Creek’s culinary scene has plenty to offer, yet authentic Asian food is notoriously difficult to find. Authenticity can be found in this East Bay city, though most of this list’s restaurants are on the city outskirts. Nevertheless, a taste of real Asian food is worth the distance, especially in a place where authenticity is hard to come by. Here are five Asian dining establishments not to miss out on.
With its kimono-clad waitresses, Japanese sushi chefs and Japanese-speaking hostesses, Miraku is a hidden gem located on the outskirts of downtown Walnut Creek. With its booths lit by wooden and paper lanterns and a pond with lily pads in the center of the dining space, Miraku provides a relaxing atmosphere in which to enjoy freshly-made California rolls and lightly-battered tempura in bento boxes, or perhaps an iron pot of sukiyaki or udon noodles. Customers can also order from the Miraku Noodle shop located next door; their seafood ramen is a hit with the locals. Customers are given a complimentary pot of green tea upon sitting down and a scoop of green tea ice cream at the end of their meal.
Miraku, 2131 N Broadway Avenue, Walnut Creek, CA, +1 925 932 1112
Only a couple blocks down from Miraku is Shanghai Gourmet, the ideal restaurant at which to get your fix of Shanghai-style mu shu pork, prawns with honey walnuts and crispy duck. Located in the middle of a commercial building, the restaurant does not necessarily stand out, and as is the case with most authentic Chinese restaurants, the waiters and waitresses usually seem to be in a hurry and going in ten directions at once. Do not be intimidated by the service, however, as the menu boasts numerous options, including authentic soups, seafood, noodles, dim sum and Chinese vegetables. Unsure what to order from such an extensive list of options? Try the Shanghai pan-fried thick noodles and green onion pancakes; both dishes are highlights of the menu.
Shanghai Gourmet, 1291 Parkside Drive,Walnut Creek, CA, +1 925 256 6869
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Phi Huynh Hiep
The open, naturally-lit atmosphere of Pho Huynh Hiep provides a bright and airy space for pho-lovers to grab a quick, hearty meal or for larger families to sit down and share from a few different bowls of noodles and appetizers. Offering chicken, beef, pork and seafood pho that come varying sizes, this Vietnamese restaurant also offers a variety of other types of soup noodles, as well as vermicelli and rice plates that include meat and vegetables, and sometimes even egg rolls. Also on the menu are an assortment of shakes and boba drinks. Shake options include taro, coconut, watermelon and even durian.
Pho Huynh Hiep 6 – Kevin’s Noodle House, 2034 N Main St., Walnut Creek, CA, +1 925 933 4746
Sichuan Fortune House
If your taste buds can handle the spiciness found in most Sichuan dishes, take the extra time to drive to Sichuan Fortune House in Pleasant Hill, just beyond the northern border of Walnut Creek. Not to be confused with Walnut Creek’s Sichuan House, this spot is hidden off the main road and boasts excellent Sichuan food despite its plain interior. Favorites include the Changsha chicken clay pot, sliced bacon-cut pork with spicy garlic sauce, hot and sour soup and the Sichuan boiled fish. Make sure your party is able and ready to handle hot meals, however, as many of these dishes are very spicy.
Sichuan Fortune House, 41 Woodsworth Ln., Pleasant Hill, CA, +1 925 686 9828
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.