Love doesn’t have to cost a thing.
City life is often veiled with promises of extraordinary nights out. Walking into bars on the Sunset Strip, perusing the dreamy shops of the Grove, and the oceanside bars of Santa Monica‘s Main Street all induce an idyllic scene for a perfect date. They also all come with a perfectly large price tag for Angelenos looking for love. Despite these obstacles to dating on a budget in the big city, sacrifices don’t need to inpact the date. Here are some of the cheapest dates to try in Los Angeles.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hit the beach
Basic? Maybe. Classic? Definitely. What’s the point of living in Los Angeles and not taking advantage of the gorgeous beaches? For east siders, a trip to the beach is practically like a weekend getaway (it will feel like it, anyway, after struggling through that 405 traffic). Extra romantic.
For a big city, Los Angeles has a lot to offer nature lovers. For people who don’t love the beach (or just can’t stand the crowds and traffic that come with it), L.A. has a number of amazing hikes. Griffith Park and Runyon Canyon are classics and have great trails for beginners. Take a romantic selfie at the summit of the hike to document the date.
Stargaze at Griffith
Walk the Santa Monica Pier
Yes, it’s easy to spend money at the Santa Monica Pier—but it’s also really easy not to. For the price of a cold drink or ice cream cone, couples can enjoy hours of people watching and quality time at the Pier. The Pier also plays host to a constant stream of events, many of which are free, including low or no-cost movies and concerts.
Visit The Broad
The Broad Museum in DTLA is full of incredible, conversation-starting pieces for the artsy couple to enjoy. It’s also free if you book tickets in advance.
Stroll through the Huntington Botanical Gardens
The Huntington Botanical Gardens in San Marino are gorgeous and romantic. While admission does usually cost money, the gardens offer free days for people willing to book in advance.
Get free laughs at UCB
Every Sunday night, the Upright Citizens Brigade theater offers a free performance of its famous ASSSSCAT show. Be prepared to line up early for tickets, but it’s worth it for couples who love to laugh as much as they love to love.
Marvel at the La Brea Tar Pits
Sure “tar pit” doesn’t seem like a very romantic place. That’s fair, but this place deserves a chance, even on date night. But the La Brea Tar Pits are actually fascinating and full of history. Plus, the accompanying museum offers free admission to L.A. residents from 3–5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Visit the Paley Center for Media
TV-loving couples can trade their next Netflix and Chill date night for a trip to the Paley Center for Media. Admission is technically free, but a $10 donation is recommended.
Explore The Getty
The Getty is a beautiful L.A. landmark, a perfect intellectual date night destination, and totally free. In other words, perfect.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.