San Francisco is a city that’s perfect for a classic holiday or a creative outing with your significant other. From the zoo to to a night of comedy to a pillow fight, here are some of the top things to do in San Francisco on Valentine’s Day.
Valentine’s Day Woo at the San Francisco Zoo
For a unique Valentine’s Day experience with your zoology-loving significant other, head to the San Francisco Zoo where they hold the annual animal mating tour “Woo at the Zoo.” This special tour takes guests on close encounters with the zoo’s animal mates, couples, and families. Guests also get to enjoy getting cozy in the zoo’s Great Hall with a roaring fire, champagne, and chocolate-covered strawberries. It’s best to reserve yours and your own mates spots early, “Woo at the Zoo” is known to sell out quick.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
SF Chronicle Wine Competition
Why not take your special valentine to the largest American wine competition in the world for the ultimate wine date? The San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition offers public tasting the Saturday following Valentine’s Day, February 17. Take your special someone to sip and sample all the wines that were entered into the competition.
Punch Line Comedy Club
If your valentine loves to laugh, catch a Valentine’s Day show at the Punch Line Comedy Club. This iconic comedy club holds its annual Valentine’s Day Comedy Showcase the evening of the holiday. Snuggle next to your special someone as you both laugh until your bellies hurt while watching stand-up from comedians Marcella Arguello, Nikki Glaser, Joe Klocek, and Joe Tobin.
Find the Hearts in SF
The infamous heart sculptures of San Francisco can be found all throughout the city. What a fun Valentine’s Day out with your own valentine it would be to hunt down all of them (or as many as you can). Start at the most well known, Tony Bennett’s heart, “America’s Greatest City By the Bay,” and go about the city to find the rest! Even better, bring along your camera and take adorable photos of you and your valentine with each heart. They could later be turned into an endearing Valentine’s Day collage.
Aphrodite’s Premier Valentine’s Cruise
Set sail on one of San Francisco’s most romantic cruises. Aphrodite’s Premier Valentine’s Day Cruise departs from Pier 3 and sails around the bay. The night includes a three-hour ride, a four-course dinner, and a hosted premium bar for you and your loved one. The views will make a perfect backdrop for the romantic evening.
Romantic Dinner for Two
Opt for a more traditional Valentine’s Day evening with one of the many romantic dinners at some of the city’s best restaurants along Fisherman’s Wharf. Walk hand in hand with your love and window shop the souvenir huts on the wharf before sitting down, just the two of you, at one of the many famous Fisherman Wharf dining spots like the Blue Mermaid, Moo, Franciscan Crab, or Alioto’s. It’ll be an unforgettable evening for the both of you.
The Great San Francisco Valentine’s Day Pillow Fight
For something even more unique, and both physically and emotionally gratifying, this Valentine’s Day, grab your loved one (and their pillows) and play around at the annual Great San Francisco Valentine’s Day Pillow Fight. It’s almost like a flashmob — the plush version. This free event has been coming together every year at the Justin Herman Plaza. When the Ferry Building clock hits 6 p.m. on Valentine’s Day, attendees whip out their pillows and the fighting fun begins! It’s a great, creative, and inexpensive way to celebrate your love for each other.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.