When spring arrives, adventure lovers in Reno Tahoe pick up their skis as well as their hiking boots, oars and climbing gear. Meadows bloom with wildflowers, and Lake Tahoe’s shallows start to warm. As the days get longer, so too does the potential for adventure. After skiing and kayaking in the morning and an afternoon of horseback riding, there’s still a whole evening ahead for blackjack back in Reno – or even a night of music and drinks at one of Reno’s concert venues or breweries. Here’s how to make the most of the outdoors this spring and summer.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Bask in snow and sunshine at Tahoe Resorts
Epic winter snowfall means Reno Tahoe’s ski lifts run well into April (and even July) – just beware those dreaded ski-goggle tan lines. A short drive from downtown Reno will have you on a ski lift at Mt Rose Ski Tahoe or Diamond Peak Resort within an hour. Heavenly, the biggest resort around Lake Tahoe, is always a good choice, with high-altitude tree-lined trails, many looking right onto the lake. But Squaw Valley has a standout reputation for retaining its snow, and springtime’s melt-freeze cycle brings a soft and slushy textural change known as “corn snow.” Bonus: sunshine also brings out the area’s fun side with hot tubs, pond skims and costume parties.
Battle whitewater on the Truckee River
Warmer weather turns the Truckee River into a fast-rushing torrent during April, May and June, and brings big thrills for rafters and kayakers eager to test their oars against furiously foaming water. Tahoe Whitewater Tours and Sierra Adventures offer full-day excursions on Truckee River. Along a dramatic section of the waterway, the action-packed Boca to Verdi trip tackles Class III and IV rapids (translation: it’s a challenging ride). Hurtling over diversion dams makes the ride even wetter and wilder – and you can even raft through the heart of downtown Reno.
Hike and swim Lake Tahoe’s shores
Mild weather and blooming wildflowers make spring the perfect time to hike in Reno Tahoe. Lake Tahoe’s east shore is a short drive from downtown Reno and offers miles of hiking trails that reward you with unbelievable lake views and open vistas. After a day on the trail, refresh with a dip in Lake Tahoe’s crystal-clear waters – or take a dive off the iconic granite boulders that pepper the shoreline.
Cruise through coves on a stand-up paddleboard
is easy to master, seriously addictive and sublime on sunny days. Almost a dozen watersport companies in the Reno Tahoe area rent gear, and Lake Tahoe’s north and east shores have aquamarine water that looks like it’s out of a Bahamas brochure (Crystal Bay is especially beautiful). Rise early for the best chance of still water and wildlife sightings – like red-tailed hawks wheeling overhead.
Snorkel in picture-perfect Sand Harbor
With clear water lapping against smooth white boulders, Sand Harbor is among Lake Tahoe’s loveliest coves. Seen underwater, its geological features take on an otherworldly beauty, with light dancing across sunken rocks and minnows darting past. Arrive early to snorkel in this deservedly popular beauty spot. After swimming with rainbow trout among the granite stones, rent a jet ski from Sand Harbor Water Sports and double your time on the water.
Grapple bare rock at Donner Pass
There’s no need to leave the city to clamber to dizzy heights: the world’s tallest artificial climbing wall at Whitney Peak Hotel rises above the famous Reno arch. But for a rock climbing challenge in the midst of nature, the awe-inspiring granite ridges at Donner Pass offer routes to suit first-timers as well as old hands.
Make like a cowboy in the high deserts
Desert landscapes filled with sagebrush, the distant peaks of the Sierra Nevada… it all looks better from horseback. Horseback riding is a unique way to connect with the land and it’s best done before the heat of summer. The pros lead guided treks across majestic desert and among old-growth ponderosa pines. Sierra Adventures can match you to a suitable steed and send you galloping (or walking) into the sunset on an unforgettable horseback riding adventure.
Drive off-road outside Reno
When city traffic crushes the soul, off-roading is the cure. There are numerous dirt roads around Reno where you can kick up desert dust by 4WD, quad or dirt bike. The big daddy is the 30-mile Hunter Lake Trail. Heading west out of Reno, you’ll rev through dense forest, skirt Hunter Lake and descend back to the city with a new appreciation for the breathtaking variety of landscapes in Reno Tahoe.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.