Quarterback-turned-broadcaster Tony Romo is preparing for the start of the new National Football League (NFL) season. The former Dallas Cowboys star has been lauded for his talents in the broadcast booth and is looking ahead to what should be another exciting campaign.
Tony Romo wasted little time finding success off the field after retiring from the NFL in April 2017, joining Jim Nantz as CBS’s top commentary duo.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The four-time NFL Pro Bowl selection, who is also the new face of the Corona Hotline, discusses all things football, from his debut season in broadcasting to the league’s new anthem policy and the dawning of the new quarterback era.
Culture Trip: How would you assess your rookie season as a broadcaster, and what are you looking to improve upon for this upcoming year?
Tony Romo: You never know when you’re getting involved in a new profession how it’s going to go. We’re excited how it went down.
As far as the stuff I’m working on, I want to keep that a secret. There’s always stuff you want to be doing to get better. I’m excited about some of the little things I’m doing. I did the same thing in football – you pick a few things that you think can help you get better and try to attack them.
CT: Your former Dallas Cowboys teammate Jason Witten has recently moved to the broadcast booth, too. What advice do you have for him at ESPN?
TR: I’m excited for him. I think he’s going to do great. I’ve talked to him about it. He’s got to be himself and he’s doing that. He’ll figure it out. He knows how to do it and he’s done a really good job so far.
CT: CBS has the broadcast rights for Super Bowl LIII. How excited are you to call your first Super Bowl?
TR: I know the passion and feeling these people will have in that game. The players and the coaches have worked their whole lives to be part of that game, so when you see them there, you know lives change based on that.
It’s my one regret I wasn’t able to bring a championship to Dallas. It’s going be to very neat to try to tell the world about how special a moment is like that for these people.
CT: Your early pick for Super Bowl LIII was the Green Bay Packers and Jacksonville Jaguars. Do you still believe that?
TR: I’m still on the Packers and Jags. The Jags lost one of their top receivers (Marqise Lee), so that hurts my prediction a little bit there, but I’m still going to stick with it.
The Packers have a new system defensively, so it will take teams a little while to figure out what they’re doing. Offensively, Jimmy Graham is going to be a nightmare match-up in the red zone; it will allow Green Bay to run the ball a lot better, and then obviously when he’s one-on-one he’ll catch a lot of touchdowns.
CT: Jaguars owner Shahid Khan has expressed interest in buying Wembley Stadium and potentially relocating the team to London. What are your thoughts on that, and how will it benefit the NFL?
TR: That’s years down the road. For them to relocate logistically, it’s going to take a long time, but any time you’re growing the game it’s a positive.
CT: You played in London with the Cowboys in 2014. What was that experience like?
TR: Unbelievable. My wife came over with a few family members. It was one of our favorite times we ever had when I was playing football. I can’t wait to go back.
[The fans] were more knowledgeable than I thought they’d be at the time. They were starting to really get the game and every year they get more and more comfortable with it.
I love the history and tradition there. I rode the Tube. People had no idea who I was. It was great. It was really fun.
CT: What are your thoughts on the new NFL anthem policy requiring players to stand?
TR: I think it’s pretty much to the point now where, it’s like anything that happens, there’s a lot of talk about it and everything. Now people are kind of getting to an understanding of what the NFL wants and what the players want and they’re trying to find that perfect balance. I think they’re getting pretty close.
CT: It seems there’s a new era for quarterbacks in the NFL with guys like Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen and Josh Rosen. How excited are you?
TR: I’m excited about this. I think now we’re witnessing a subtle shift. I think you’re going to see these young quarterbacks take over, and we’ve needed this influx in the league. My hope is that some of these guys are really, really good.
Sam Darnold is going to be really, really good. I think he has the innate, instinctual, god-given ability that you really can’t coach. It’s just there. When I watch tape, the stuff he has to work on, you can coach. The things you can’t coach, he has. He has a chance not just to be pretty good, but possibly a top-two or -three quarterback in the National Football League.
CT: Finally, how are your Cowboys going to do this year?
TR: They’re going to do pretty well. The defense looked outstanding in the pre-season. The O-line is always going to be great. It’s a just a matter of as the season progresses and teams start to force them to throw the ball outside the numbers, how they’ll try to take advantage of that. That will be the key to their season.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.