Sedona, Arizona, is all stunning red rock landscapes and dramatic mountain ranges with names like Thunder Mountain that are bound to leave you awestruck. Get close to nature by hiking and mountain biking in Boynton Canyon and around other incredible natural landmarks. Many visitors like the appeal of contrasting physical activity outdoors with the luxurious choice of spa hotels in Sedona, where you can rest your tired muscles and indulge in the various treatments on offer. Here is our pick of Sedona’s best spa hotels, bookable on Culture Trip.
This must be one of the best spa resorts in Sedona – there are spa suites, a yoga and movement studio, a canyon studio and a fitness center for guests who like to keep active, plus mindfulness programs, private consultation rooms and something called Morning Celebration for those looking to recalibrate their mind. Both the sumptuous rooms in classic creams, with desert-pattern bed throws, and the wood-beamed casitas – each with a fireplace, plus a private deck or patio that overlooks the breathtaking Boynton Canyon – make for a memorable stay. Explore this amazing landscape of sandstone cliffs, canyon and high-desert pinyon-juniper forest on foot or on two wheels; staff can help you arrange tours.
Located in Sedona’s Red Rock country, on the town’s eastern edge, this spa in Sedona is the place to go if you want to feel in tune with the nature surrounding you: the creekside property is shaded by sycamore trees throughout, and dotted with koi ponds and lush greenery. The rooms, cottages and suites are decorated in a classic-meets-rustic style, and come with four-poster beds and fireplaces. Make a reservation for an intimate dinner at the award-winning, wine-forward, Southern European restaurant, Cress on the Creek, or soak in the outdoor pool. To fully unwind, treat yourself to the signature Desert Flower Massage at the L’Apothecary Spa.
Adobe Grand Villas are exactly what they say they are – luxurious villas made out of mud-brick, straddling the space between low-key and fabulous, with rustic, Victorian and desert-style details throughout: think wood-paneling and a creative use of logs as headboards. An executive chef looks after your gastronomic needs and prepares a gourmet breakfast with locally sourced ingredients every day. The spa offers a variety of massages – from Reiki to a Sedona Hikers package: hot stone massage followed by reflexology for tired muscles.
Sitting on the Western end of Sedona, here is a resort that in fact feels like a village: there are individual cottages, fine dining, pools, a spa, shopping, hiking, you name it, all set within a dramatic landscape of red cliffs. Each cottage has a full kitchen, a dining area and a separate bedroom – perfect for longer stays. The decor is charmingly retro (think frilly curtains and flower patterned bedspreads). The resort boasts the largest heated swimming pool in Sedona, and you’re less than five minutes’ drive from the Two Trees Observation Area and Deer Pass Trailhead.
Branding itself as a boutique bed and breakfast, A Sunset Chateau is creeper-clad-France-meets-Arizona. Rooms, suites and casitas are decorated according to a “desert rustic chic” theme: think patterned rugs and throws and walls painted in desert hues. The windows frame rugged red cliffs, and if you’re on a romantic vacation, nab the Adobe Romantic Suite with a two-person jetted tub. Perks include a saltwater pool and jacuzzi, all overlooked by the red rocks of Sedona. A fire pit is lit every evening so you can snuggle up under the stars and enjoy the silhouette of the mountains.
Overlooking Oak Creek on the eastern fringe of town, this Sedona spa hotel comprises tastefully appointed rooms in dark blues and creams and spacious suites with playful decor, including wooden blocks painted in primary colors and pops of abstract contemporary art. Opt for a king room with balcony or a suite to gaze out over the water. The SaltRock Southwest Kitchen is where traditional Southwestern dishes are cooked up from seasonal and local ingredients; wash down your short-rib tacos or organic chicken with a signature Sun Devil margarita. The spa promises all things luxurious and relaxing, such as the Rain Dance Massage, which employs lavender, rosemary and sage essential oils.
Contrary to the name, the Wilde is a Sedona spa hotel that’s just off the main drag in town, but that barely detracts from your admiration of the surrounding dramatic desert landscape (and dramatically named Thunder Mountain) while lounging by the pool or sitting under the stars by the fire pit. The rooms have huge comfortable beds and solid wood furniture, private balconies or patios and wonderful views of the surrounding nature. The spa here is very comprehensive, with yoga, qi gong, tai chi and meditation classes, and more treatments than you can shake a desert rattlesnake at. Chow down on a Sonoran desert hot dog or crispy Southern chicken at Rascal, a modern diner with chef-forward cuisine.
Affordable and spacious rooms and suites are to be found at this spa retreat in Sedona, decked out in off-white and brown shades and flooded with natural light thanks to the large windows. Dine out on pepperoni and ricotta pizza and 10oz (285g) burgers overflowing with toppings at the Spoke & Wheel tavern, with its wine-barrel-and-wrought-iron-chandelier decor, then try the best Arizona vintages, accompanied by wood-fired dishes, at Timo Wine Bar on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. The seasonal poolside bar offers good craft cocktails.
Still not found your ideal place to stay among the red rocks? See the best hotels for every kind of traveler in Sedona and book your stay with Culture Trip. Alternatively, get closer to nature by camping in the Grand Canyon State; see the best campsites in Sedona now.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.