Seven hours outside of Mexico City, the state of San Luis Potosí is harbouring one of Mexico’s most fantastical hidden gems. Hidden deep inside the rainforest near the small village of Xilitla, Las Pozas was constructed and owned by eccentric British poet and artist, Edward James before being acquired by local authorities in 2007 and finally opened to the public. Without a doubt, this is one for the bucket list.
Wandering through the many bridges, winding staircases and narrow paths that constitute the trails which guide you through Las Pozas, you can’t help but be swept up in the wildly surrealist, almost unbelievable, nature of the site. Situated deep in the rainforest, Las Pozas is a magical, surrealist sculpture garden that at times looks like it sprouted from the very surroundings in which it finds itself.
Spread over 80 acres worth of land, a full day barely seems like enough time to explore Las Pozas, especially when you consider that every twist and turn offers a new and spectacular photo opportunity. In fact, so vast and expansive is the site – which was formerly a coffee plantation – Edward James was forced to auction off his collection of surrealist masterpieces to pay for its development. We can all agree that the sacrifice was very much worth it.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Architecturally speaking, the sculptures (most of which were built in collaboration with James’ friend Plutarco Gastelum) combine several surrealist elements, features lifted from the jungle in which they’re situated and the orchids which James once cultivated with such care. The names of some of the sculptures are practically works of art in their own right, expressing the very bizarre nature of the entire project. Take, for example, The House on Three Floors Which Will in Fact Have Five or Four or Six – if that’s not an attention-grabbing title, we don’t know what is.
While the site itself is most famed for its magical concrete sculptures, it is also blessed with several natural waterfalls and pools (hence the name). The 30+ structures, some of which seem intentionally (or not?) incomplete, are in fact all linked by the naturally occurring streams which run through the site.
Las Pozas’ origin story is just as bizarre as you’d imagine too; constructed by the British surrealist Edward James in the 1940s, he described it as his very own ‘Garden of Eden’ or ‘Surrealist Xanadu’, choosing to construct it in Mexico over California due to the inherent romanticism and ample space offered by the former. After seeking advice from his cousin, the artist Bridget Bate Tichenor, he set off to Mexico in search for the perfect spot, finally stumbling across Xilitla in 1945. Sculptures were not the main attraction of Las Pozas when it first opened, however; initially, James used the site to cultivate an enormous swathe of orchids, and to house his various exotic animals.
Even its status as a hidden gem can’t shield it from the attention of the art world; earlier this year the enigmatic Tilda Swinton took part in a spellbinding photoshoot for which Las Pozas served as the appropriately weird and wonderful backdrop.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.