Continuing our series of the Mexican women to watch out for, which began with these musicians, we turn our attention to the entrepreneurs who are making business waves in a sector and a country typically dominated by machismo culture. Figures from a few years ago showed that only 2.4% of Mexico’s entrepreneurs were women. However, from start-up superstars to those who’ve worked their way up the corporate ladder, these ladies should be on your radar.
Celeste North of Backbase
Celeste North has previously been the leader of Women 2.0’s Founder Friday, the manager of on-demand, rotating film streaming site MUBI in Mexico City, and she was also the founder of the now defunct film and technology start-up NuFlick. Currently, she’s working as a UX Designer with the company Backbase, which is a software company dedicated to helping banks manage their customer interactions better. Alongside this, North also participates sporadically in various female entrepreneurship communities in Mexico, such as Emprende.la and Opinno.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Claudia de Heredia of Kichink
Kichink was one of the 11 start-ups recognised by Google for Demo Day for Entrepreneurs, Women’s Edition. One of the e-commerce company’s co-founders, Claudia de Heredia, is therefore one of our Mexican women to watch in the world of business. She herself has recognised the barriers women in Mexico face when they want to enter the world of business (assumptions that you’re going to get pregnant and leave, being just one of them!) and she’s overcome them all, now dealing with the PR and client growth aspects of Kichink.
Ana Isabel Orvañanos of Aliada
After getting her Masters in Economics in Spain, Ana Isabel Orvañanos returned to Mexico to work in the finance field before coming up with the idea for Aliada. A platform through which Mexico City residents can find the ideal housekeeper for them, and vice versa, it’s regularly considered one of Mexico’s most successful start-up sites. Since starting in September 2014, Aliada has since grown to work with more than 150 professional cleaners, helping formalise this largely unregulated and informal Mexican industry.
Karla Tammekand of Truekeo
While clothes swap and sell sites have been popping up all over the place of late, Karla Tammekand (the brains behind Truekeo) was one of the first to hop onto the bandwagon, particularly in the Latin American market. Created in 2010, what sets this site apart from big-hitters such as eBay are the wide variety of things that can be swapped and exchanged – you can swap experiences for fashion or iPods for bikes, amongst other things.
Ana Karen Ramírez and Daniela González of Epic Queen
Epic Queen is a business that, as well as having a quite literally epic name, offers inclusive programmes which aim to increase the involvement of women in the field of innovation, particularly in Mexico. It was after realising that there are still only a few women working in the field (97% of science and technology positions are occupied by men) that Ramírez and González came up with the idea for Epic Queen. They offer online courses and host monthly events that bring together female leaders to share their experiences.
Marlenne Reyes Gutiérrez of Arte Marí-Marí
Alongside her business partner María Fernanda Huerta, Marlenne Reyes Gutiérrez founded the start-up Arte Marí-Marí in 2013, with the idea of preserving the cultural heritage of Mexico. They work with indigenous women who create artisanal embroidered products which are then transformed into items like cushion covers and sold through Arte Marí-Marí all over the world. This ensures the women receive a fair wage and recognition for their time-consuming, skilled work and gained the co-founders help from the Cherie Blair Foundation in 2015.
Blanca Treviño of Softtek
One of the biggest names in the world of Mexican entrepreneurs, male or female, Blanca Treviño is a business leader with decades of experience in the industry. She’s currently the CEO and President of Softtek which started life in Monterrey, Mexico and has since become Latin America’s principal IT services provider. Furthermore, she’s a member of several boards such as Walmart México, Caintra and Copermex, was the first woman included in the International Association of Outsourcing Providers’ Hall of Fame, and wrote an open letter directed at Trump and Clinton during the presidential campaign!
Antonia Gutiérrez of American Airlines
Antonia Gutiérrez made history when she was named the first female CEO of American Airlines México after having worked with the company for more than 40 years. Her story is truly inspiring and shows where hard work can get you, as she started off working as a secretary before climbing the ladder to budgeting and finance, and continuing upwards to her current position as CEO. Since beginning as CEO, three new routes have been opened between Mexico and Dallas amongst other things.
Ana María Olabuenaga of Olabuenaga Chemistri
It’s likely that you’re more familiar with the work of Ana María Olabuenaga than you are with her name, given that she was the first woman to found and lead a publicity agency in Mexico. For example, she’s the brains behind marketing campaigns such as ‘Es fácil ser hombre’ for Tecate. In 2015, her company Olabuenaga Chemistri merged with a subsidy of Leo Burnett and Olabuenaga is now the transnational strategic consultant.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.