In recent years, Guadalajara’s Chapultepec Avenue has established itself as one of the trendiest streets in Mexico.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
With its impressive range of cafés and restaurants, you’d be hard-pressed to find a better place to eat and drink in the Mexico. But the Chapultepec area truly comes to life when the sun sets, the lights turn on and the bars open. With that in mind, here’s our rundown of the best drinking establishments the legendary street has to offer.
This tiny bar has friendly staff, classic indie music and an impressive drinks selection. Dimly lit and atmospheric, El Grillo has a real countercultural vibe. The bar offers an extensive range of local and US craft beers, as well as top-quality mezcals. Owing to its popularity, the downstairs section often fills early, but claustrophobes can always head to the terrace upstairs.
This legendary nightlife institution has hosted some of the biggest names in dance and electronic music – including Paul Oakenfold, Charlotte de Witte and Flying Lotus. The bar opened in 2002 on Avenida Americas but relocated to trendier Chapultepec five years ago. The new venue boasts two dancefloors, and sleek, minimal decor. You will always find something unique at Bar Americas. The owners are determined not to accommodate expectations but to offer innovative presentations that cement Guadalajara’s place on the global electronic music map.
El Callejón de los Rumberos
This salsa hotspot is not hard to find – just look for the two taxis painted in the colors of the Cuban flag sitting on raised platforms outside the building. With its vivid decor and live sets by cumbia and salsa bands, El Callejón de los Rumberos has a vibrant carnival atmosphere. The bar also offers dance classes every Wednesday to Saturday, from 7 to 9pm.
El Depósito World Beer Store
Interest in craft beers has soared in Mexico in recent years, and El Depósito is one of the best places for cerveza connoisseurs in Guadalajara. A neat, unpretentious beer garden sits outside the venue, while you’ll find an extraordinary range of craft beers once you step inside. The imported bottles are plentiful but pricey. The local range is inexpensive but mostly limited to Minerva. The Guadalajara company has become one of Mexico’s major craft-beer enterprises, offering a variety of first-rate beverages.
One of Chapultepec’s liveliest bars, PaloSanto offers regular drinks deals and a never-ending stream of soccer or NFL on its multiple TV screens. Essentially, this a commercial sports bar given a mystical makeover. The wooden shelves behind the long wooden bar are painted in the vibrant shades you might expect to find on a Day of the Dead altar. The name PaloSanto refers to the wild tree used in shamanic healing rituals across the Americas.
This chic but unpretentious venue has become a major hub for after-work drinks. With its exposed brick walls and rough-hewn wooden tables, the bar has a trendy, hipster aesthetic. But Escutia comes with a patriotic twist. The range of tequilas is impressive, while the bar takes its name from a teenage military cadet who died defending Mexico City from invading US forces.
This venue may operate under the slogan “cantina from yesteryear” but it only opened in 2013 and bears little resemblance to any of Guadalajara’s historic cantinas. Instead, expect a sports-bar-meets-cocktail-lounge vibe. We would highly recommend the micheladas – spicy cocktails made with ice-cold beer, lime juice, Maggi seasoning and hot sauce.
Branches of this cheap and cheerful chain have sprung up across the city since 2015. In fact, there are currently more than 130 Cervecería Chapultepecs dotted around the world – in Spain, Central and South America. You’ll find three branches on Chapultepec Avenue alone, with the original venue located on the corner with Mexicaltzingo. The central concept is “one price for everything.” That means anything you buy – from a rum mojito to a shrimp taco – will cost you the same amount.
Since opening in 2017, Garden Chapultepec has established itself as a local favorite. This laid-back gastropub offers a range of casual food options, cocktails and craft beer. The hamburgers and shrimp tacos are particularly tasty. However, we recommend sampling some of the more unusual starters first. The watermelon guacamole is particularly refreshing, while the Mexican corn salad, or esquites, is delicious, especially when combined with grilled shrimp. Stop in for live music every Friday and Saturday night.
El Perdón Cantina
International interest in agave spirits is currently at an all-time high, and El Perdón Cantina is one of the best places to savor a tequila or its smoky cousin mezcal. The atmospheric venue offers an extensive range of cocktails, with helpful staff on hand to offer advice to patrons. We recommend ordering a clay cantaritos pot filled with an exciting blend of tequila, lime juice and fizzy grapefruit soda.
You’ll find this welcoming venue on Calle Miguel Lerdo de Tejada, a stone’s throw from Chapultepec Avenue. It boasts a casual but truly first-rate menu, with mouthwatering hamburgers and skilfully crafted pizzas. Hudson Bar stocks a broad range of national and imported beers, and even offers caguamas, bottles containing up to 1.2 liters of drink. You’ll find live music every weekend but if it all gets a bit loud you can head upstairs to the roof garden.
El Ray Gallo
This spacious terrace bar is a great place to drink on a budget. El Rey Gallo has welcoming staff and a relaxed atmosphere, not to mention great snacks (if you’re hungry, we recommend the chicharrón – fried pork belly or pork rind – tacos). The bar also offers a selection of inexpensive mezcals.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.