Street food can be found on pretty much every corner in Mexico City, so you’ll never be short of options if you’re craving a tamale or a classic taco al pastor. However, if you’d rather get your street food fix in one handy location, these are the best markets in the city that serve up classic Mexican antojitos and other tasty snacks.
Love Mexican food? Then book Culture Trip’s five-day Mexico City tour where our Local Insider will help you choose the tastiest dishes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It might sound strange to recommend a metro stop as one of the best places to grab street food in the Mexican capital, but if you surface to the street at the Chilpancingo metro stop (in Hipódromo Condesa), then you’ll find a wealth of stalls serving everything from tlacoyos (masa tortillas stuffed with cheese and beans), sopes (fried masa base with savory toppings) and tacos. This is a great market to head to if you’re on the move and don’t have time to head to one of Mexico City’s more well-known indoor locations. Some say the flautas (fried corn tortillas wrapped around shredded chicken and other toppings) and then fried sold at the Puesto de Flautas stand are the best in the city.
Mercado de la Merced
Mercado de la Merced (more commonly known as La Merced) is one of Mexico City’s largest and oldest markets that’s safe to visit during the day and offers a fascinating insight into Mexican food market culture. Divided into seven zones, the market is stocked full with all kinds of Mexican food. Plus, there are also countless food stands where you can sample freshly grilled or fried street food – just look out for the places with running water and crowds of locals gathered around and you really can’t go wrong.
Only trading at weekends, Mercado Sullivan (Sullivan Market) is a roaming tianguis (farmer’s market or flea market) that sets up shop on Avenida Sullivan from roughly 9am. At this outdoor street market you’ll find the humble pambazo (bread dipped and fried in a red guajillo pepper sauce and filled with papas con chorizo) – the quintessential Mexico City snack – alongside all the classic antojitos such as barbacoa (slow-cooked meat seasoned with chilies and spices), tacos and quesadillas.
Easily one of Mexico City’s best indoor markets is the centrally located Mercado Medellín, named after the Colombian city and a great spot to head to if you’re looking flavors imported from other Latin countries. It’s particularly well-known for its Cuban ice cream vendors, although you can still find some classic street food on offer at the Calle Coahuila entrance and a popular seafood stall called La Morenita.
Taco Roundabout in Narvarte
Narvarte is home to some of the best taco spots in the city. Head to the Glorieta SCOP park for an array of food stalls that branch off in all directions (tip: opt for the row that lines Avenida Doctor José María Vertiz for the best selection). Keep your eyes peeled for Los Tacos de Cochinada, Tacos Beto and Juan Bisteces.
Famed for being the market where Frida Kahlo did her weekly shop, Mercado Coyoacán is a little more expensive but for good reason once you’ve tried a tostada from Tostadas de Coyoacán or the seafood from El Jardín del Pulpo. Take a stroll through the market and see what catches your eye. If you don’t find anything inside, perhaps one of the street vendors outside will have something else to entice you.
Mercado de San Juan
If you want a more adventurous (or unique) Mexico City street food experience, there’s no better place to venture than Mercado de San Juan which is known for serving up creepy crawlies and edible insects. You can also find alternative meats here that make vegetarians and vegans a little queasy (think crocodile and ostrich).
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.