From the Aztecs and their love of gold to the conquistadors in search of precious jewels, Mexico’s history with jewelry spans thousands of years. Today, the love affair continues as Mexican jewelry designers draw influence from their country’s traditions and fuse it with contemporary materials, styles, and techniques to create brands that are taking the world by storm. Here is Culture Trip’s pick of the nine best Mexican jewelry designers working today.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
In her own words, Daniela Villegas’ colorful jewelry stems from “the blur of colors” that is her daily life. She draws inspiration from everything around her, including her native Mexico and the many places she has traveled. The key to her success is that each piece is entirely unique and made with the finest materials for longevity. The brand is typified by the delicate gold rings that sit on the top of the finger, often in the shape of insects and flowers to reflect Villegas’ love of nature. If her numerous appearances in Vogue are anything to go by, the fashion world is just as inspired by her eye for detail.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Already a household name for many, Daniel Espinosa’s jewelry epitomizes luxury and indulgence. Despite its international reputation, many of the pieces in his collections – gold cuffs, geometric rings, beaded necklaces – give a nod to their Mexican nationality. Espinosa grew up in Taxco, an area of Mexico based around its metals industry. Surrounded by examples of the finest gold and silver, it is no wonder that Espinosa does not settle for anything less than the highest quality metals for his jewelry. Having studied and spent considerable periods of time in Europe and the United States, his pieces ingeniously combine the traditions of his hometown in Mexico with the modernity of western design.
Treviño has taken everything you thought you knew about Mexico and has turned it on its head into something more modern, fashionable, and edgy. At first sight, her designs appear to stem from everything classically Mexican: Aztec geometry, Mayan symbolism, rocks, stones, and crystals. Yet the subtlety of her designs would have you doubting that they stem from anything other than Treviño’s imagination. The beauty of her jewelry is in the fact that its influences are wholly Mexican but its appeal entirely international. The woman that wears Georgina Treviño is confident and a risk-taker, and that is exactly the impression you get when you see a piece of her stunningly unique jewelry.
Gustavo Helguera’s designs aren’t aimed at the woman that wants to blend into the crowd. Bold, over the top and extravagant are words that spring to mind when one sees his jewel-encrusted necklaces and kooky charm bracelets. His tagline of ‘the best accessory a woman can have is self-assurance’ is exemplified in each and every one of his unique and gloriously indulgent designs. These are not pieces of jewelry to be worn every day and with any old outfit; Helguera has purposely designed jewels that will stand out even at the most exorbitant of events. Without doubt, Gustavo Helguera aims to make his clients feel like the belle of the ball, and he succeeds in doing so.
Formerly one of Mexico’s best-kept secrets, Lola Bassó is making waves in the jewelry industry and she’s doing it almost exclusively through social media. Lola was raised with an appreciation for fine jewels, and understands the significance of gifting a piece of jewelry; a memory frozen in time for its owner to look at again and again. The personality that she pours into her designs has not gone unnoticed. Additionally, her pieces have been spotted on numerous celebrities; on the style pages of several international magazines; and on television. Lola Bassó jewelry is beautifully simple yet classic, with splashes of amethyst and pearl setting off simple gold chains to perfection. The fans have spoken: Lola is here to stay.
The basis of Mani Maalai’s appeal is its innate connection with all things natural. The jewelry is adorned with symbols of the earth: serpents, insects, the sun, the moon, as well as subtle references to Mexico’s rich historical past. Combine this with the ready-to-wear attitude of the brand and you know that you’ve found something unique; not many jewelry designers can make something so extravagant into low-maintenance fashion. The freshness of the pieces appeals to an edgier market with the pieces appearing in fashion-forward magazines such as Nylon. Despite this positive publicity and international hype, Mani Maalai’s roots are firmly grounded and it remains very much a Mexican brand.
Ivón Fuentes, founder of Mayeh, created the brand with her love of all things Mexican in mind. The pieces are designed to reflect aspects of traditional Mexican culture with a modern twist. Typical pottery and embroidery from the central and southern regions of the country, precious stones from their natural habitat, and Talavera pottery from Puebla are just some of the local materials used to ensure that the brand champions its roots. At the heart of the brand is social responsibility, combined with undeniable elegance. Its home might be Mexico, but with stores opening up in the United States, Canada, and Spain, this unique brand is one to watch.
For Damien Rohrbach jewelry design is personal. He endeavors to get to know his clients personally to better understand their preferences and understands the desire of many to own a piece of jewelry that is completely unique. This is no ordinary customer experience. Rohrbach uses 3Design CAD technology to create 3D models of his designs, enabling his clients to envisage exactly how their rings, necklace or earrings will look. From the simple yet elegant freshwater pearl earrings to the ostentatious rings that wrap the finger in an array of jewels, Damien Rohrbach has designed something to please everyone.
With the candy skull, Guadalupe, and Talavera pendants, there is no doubt that Tanya Moss is a proud Mexican designer. In addition, she is also a driven, motivated, and forward-thinking businesswoman with more than ten boutiques spanning the world. And as if managing a highly successful jewelry company wasn’t enough, Tanya hosts Mexico’s Criaturas Creativas, a reality show about budding entrepreneurs. Her designs are instantly recognizable, elegant, and robust. It is no wonder that Tanya Moss is fast becoming the next big thing in jewelry design. With over 15 years of experience, Moss’s creations have already withstood the test of time.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.