Guadalajara’s historic center has it all. Beautiful buildings, gorgeous plazas, handicrafts, delicious restaurant options, and bars. The centro histórico is not often associated with the amazing night life that Guadalajara as a whole has to offer, but the selection of bars in the area is one worth checking out the next time you’re in town.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This is a must-visit for the experience alone, as La Fuente is the oldest cantina in Guadalajara and therefore commands a certain respect. Although it may not look like much from the outside, its central location and perennial popularity should tell you a lot about how well-liked it is, as well as how worth a visit. It’s a spacious bar with a mysterious old bicycle hanging on the wall and scores of Mexicans singing along to the live music. Try not to feel too left out, and soak up the atmosphere instead.
Chupitería La Favorita
Shots are your friend at Chupitería La Favorita, and they come in a wide range of flavors. This is not going to be the tequila chugging experience of your college days (unless you want it to be, that is). Aside from the breadth of the drinks on offer, La Chupitería is well-suited to any fan of electronic music, and there are often famous DJs playing here. Dance or take a seat at one of the tables for more of a relaxed evening experience, and enjoy mingling with the trendy, friendly crowd.
La Lupita also markets itself as a cantina, but it is most definitely not a normal cantina. Perhaps ‘a cantina revamped’ would be the most appropriate way of putting it. A small spot located near Parque Juárez (Parque Rojo), this is a first floor bar with an attractive and colorful décor. Always full of people chugging their paper-bag-wrapped caguamas (1.2 liter bottles of beer), this crowded but atmospheric hot spot in Guadalajara’s historic center might make it difficult to execute a salsa spin, that’s not to say you shouldn’t try, though!
Not strictly speaking located in the historic center but a few blocks outside, Primer Piso is a local weekend favorite and plays some awesome live jazz music if you head there on the right day. Easy to miss as it’s on the first floor and entry is via a narrow stairway, it even sometimes has live poetry readings. The eclectic décor, combined with some refreshing gin mixers and comfortable seating make this the spot for a chilled out, and perhaps a little different, evening out with friends.
Located in the lovely Coronilla area of the historic center, which is worth a visit during the day, too, for its quaint cafés and lunch options, is Escarabajo Scratch. In fact, you could even pop by this quaint blues joint during the day and enjoy the food options offered, such as sandwiches, pizzas, and salads. But the evenings are when it really gets going at Escarabajo Scratch, as the blues, jazz, and rock groups start their sets. Try out the infamous Pink Elephant beer.
The colonial, imposing, oldest hotel in the center of Guadalajara, Hotel Francés‘s lobby bar is an excellent option if you’re looking for a more tranquil drinking experience. With a selection of tables surrounding a central fountain, and dominated by an impressive chandelier, this bar has the typical colonial layout that never fails to impress. Don’t make this an all-night affair; instead we recommend stopping by for a quick pre-dinner drink before heading out to see what the rest of the historic center has to offer.
Café Galeria Andre Breton
Last but not least on our list of the top ten centro histórico bars is Café Galeria Andre Breton. A bar-restaurant, it offers some lovely, simple French food so you can dine before kicking back and enjoying the live jazz in this café which boasts a distinctly bohemian vibe. Jazz seems to be very popular in Guadalajara’s historic center, and this is one of the best places to see it. Café Andre Breton is a basic and well-priced experience, whether you’re dining or drinking, and one in which the artistic spirit of the gallery pervades the whole place.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.