In recent years, tequila has developed a sophisticated image as a spirit to be slowly savored. Mezcal has also earned a reputation as its cool, hipster cousin. But lesser-known spirits such as sotol from Chihuahua and bacanora from the northern state of Sonora are still very much in the shadows. In addition to these, there’s raicilla, another delicious spirit that is barely known outside of Mexico but could soon become a fixture on every bar’s cocktail list.
While mezcals are typically associated with the southern state of Oaxaca, raicilla originates from towns near the tourist hub of Puerto Vallarta, in the western state of Jalisco. The drink is made from two species of the spiky agave plant and is technically a member of the mezcal family.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The process of making the beverage is similar to that of a mezcal from Oaxaca. The agave plants that carpet the hills of Jalisco are tended for around eight years before they are harvested, trimmed to resemble huge pineapples and fire-roasted. The end product is a cooked agave mash that is distilled and diluted with spring water.
Raicilla differs from its close cousin tequila because it is not made from the Weber, or blue agave plant that must be used in all tequilas for it to qualify in that category. Raicilla tends to be fruitier (and more tequila-like) than the deep, smoky mezcals for which Oaxaca is famed.
The spirit is a favorite in Pare de Sufrir, one of the coolest bars in Guadalajara—the heart of Mexico’s tequila-producing region. Owner Pedro Jiménez opened the bar in 2009, and he has been working with local raicilla producers ever since.
Pare de Sufrir, Calle Argentina 66, Americana, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico, +521 333 826 1041
In recent years, the small artisanal raicilla producers have struggled as major tequila producers look to eat into their territory—while triggering significant environmental problems in the process.
“In Jalisco, there’s a community that has been making traditional raicilla for many years,” Jiménez told Culture Trip. “Because the tequila companies need more material, they are buying agaves or territory around the community. They are removing native agave from these areas to plant blue agave.”
Yet this process is fraught with complications.
“Blue agave has more plagues than any another agave because of its overuse. To grow the agave, they need more fertilizers and insecticides. But if you plant blue agave near other species, it infects them—plagues are passed on. They also need to use insecticides, which are very aggressive products.”
Bars like Pare de Sufrir offer a vital lifeline to communities adversely affected by the corporate tequila world. Tour companies such as Experience Tequila, run by agave spirits expert Clayton Szczech, are also bringing customers to the region by offering tours for tequila enthusiasts and bar owners.
As international demand for agave spirits rises, it is not hard to imagine raicilla making inroads into the U.S. market. Brands such as La Venenosa are already exporting the spirit. In New York, you can buy a shot of raicilla at Gramercy Tavern, and in Los Angeles, it is available at Taco Teca.
Gramercy Tavern, 42 E 20th St, New York, NY, USA, +1 212 477 0777
Taco Teca, 2460 Wilshire Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA, USA, +1 310 828 2115
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.