Mexico City has a cosmopolitan feel that stretches from its thriving contemporary art scene to its restaurants and cafes. Faced with an exciting new generation of young chefs who are upholding the traditions of Mexican cuisine whilst adding their own unique flair, we update our previous article on the 10 best restaurants in Mexico City with some new favorites.
Quintonil is the manifestation of a formidable partnership between Alejandra Flores and Jorge Vallejo. The latter has worked at the prestigious, award-winning Noma in Copenhagen. Flores, on the other hand, is a vastly experienced restaurateur who imbues Quintonil with a warm and welcoming atmosphere in her front-of-house role. To give you a flavor of what the restaurant serves, diners can include dishes such as octopus with potatoes. Quintonil has also featured in the S. Pellegrino list of Latin America’s 50 Best Restaurants on multiple occassions.
Quintonil, Newton 55, Polanco, Mexico City, Mexico, +52 55 5280 1660
Angelopolitano demonstrates that even the most traditional, authentic Mexican flavors can blossom when given a contemporary makeover. This chic venue is all about a contemporary approach, and great presentation – both in its stylish interior and its dishes, which come adorned with flowers, herbs and fruits, creating bold and colorful culinary statements, courtesy of gourmet-loving Chef Gerardo Quezadas Orendain. In addition to its sense of style, Angelopolitano is also considered to be one of the best places in the city to sample the essential Mexican dish chiles en nogada – starring walnuts and pomegranate seeds.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Angelopolitano, Puebla 371 Col. Roma Norte, Mexico City, Mexico, +52 55 6391 2121
Ricardo Muñoz Zurita, head chef at Azul Condesa, is incredibly influential in Mexico, as he is also a prolific food writer, specializing in Mexican cuisine. His book Diccionario Enciclopedico de la Gastronomia Mexicana covers everything that you need to know about cooking in this part of the world. Zurita has also opened restaurants in order to showcase the food mentioned in his books, combining theory with practice. He has opened three other restaurants in Mexico City however, Azul Condesa is arguably his best. It’s spread over two floors, and also boasts a beautful garden.
Azul Condensa, Nuevo León # 68, Col. Condesa, Mexico City, Mexico, +52 55 5286 6380/ 5286 6268
Biko is led by a team of three prominent chefs: Mikel Alonso, who was born in France, Gerard Bellver a native of Catalonia, and Bruno Oteiza from San Sebastián. At Biko, the chefs combine their experiences to make a coherent and thrilling form of molecular gastronomy. Scientific methods are used to reinterpret Mexican cuisine, providing sensory experiences. It is no wonder Biko has previously been ranked sixth in S. Pellegrino’s Latin America’s 50 Best Restaurants.
Biko, Presidente Masaryk, Mexico City, Mexico, +52 55 5282 2064
Delirio, is a homey cafe and deli. Celebrated Mexican Chef Mónica Patiño works with her daughter Micaela Miguel to deliver quality and organic food at affordable prices, with a menu covering recipes from many places in the world such as France, Spain, Italy, North Africa and Western Asia. Patiño’s sample dishes include baked trout, roast beef and stuffed eggplant, fish stew, lemongrass soup and small sausages with couscous and tzatziki. The menu is updated daily, yet normally encompasses charcuteries, pastries and sandwiches.
Deliro, Alvaro Obregón, Mexico City, Mexico, +52 55 5584 0870
El Bajio is a chain restaurant entirely suffused by the culture of Mexico. You’ll find a selection of authentic recipes on the menu and colorful art on the walls make this a venue where tradition meets innovation. Owner Carmen Titita seeks to ensure that everyone feels as though they have been invited to attend a private dinner in her home: she is truly passionate about upholding the traditions of Mexican cuisine, as is evident in her award-winning cookbook, Alquimias y Atmosferas del Sabor.
Tacos Gus, a trendy taco tavern, is the brainchild of Gustavo Rosas Millán, of Tacos El Guero fame (the best-loved taco spot in Condesa since 1968). Lately, Gustavo left his family’s restaurant and decided to experiment with new ingredients and flavors. Tacos Gus’ menu incorporates nearly 20 different kinds of tacos, many of them vegetarian or vegan. The fillings are hand-crafted with tasty, often organic and invariably fresh ingredients, then put up on the store counter in clay pots. With only five tables, Tacos Gus is always bustling with customers hungry for the establishment’s take on this Mexican staple.
Taco Gus, Ometusco 56, Mexico City, Mexico, +52 55 1384 3077
Maximo Bistrot Local
Chef Eduardo García of Maximo Bistrot Local is constantly inspired by his surroundings in Mexico City. As the name of his bistro indicates, his ethos involves a fanatical support for all local products – from the food to the furniture and even the napkins used in the restaurant. This popular venue is very conscious of its role in the community. Each morning, the kitchen staff visit the local markets and select ingredients that will inform their dishes later in the day. Consequently, each visit to the restaurant promises to be unique, with the menus changing on a daily basis.
Maximo Bistrot Local, Tonalá 133, Mexico City, Mexico, +52 55 5264 4291
For an authentic street food experience in the Mexican capital, make your way to Taquería Tlaquepaque, which is situated in Mexico City’s historic center. Although it may resemble a Middle Eastern kebab shop with its huge hunk of roasting meat, the venue’s signature dish is actually the tacos al pastor, a Mexican take on the doner kebab. Using typically Mexican ingredients such as chili peppers, raisins, cinnamon and anise seeds, the tacos are layered with local produce and then meat, and topped off with pineapple, rendering the final result sweet and exotic.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.