In the small town of La Patrona, Veracruz a band of (predominantly) women known as Las Patronas are providing potentially life-saving ‘care packages’ to the Central American migrants that pass through the town on their journey to the northern border. Twice daily, they throw parcels containing food and water to those perched precariously atop the cargo train known colloquially as La Bestia (The Beast). Here’s everything you need to know about this inspiring group.
Over two decades ago, the nowadays award-winning charitable organization was born – entirely by chance. Norma Romero Vazquez and her sister were waiting for La Bestia to pass so they could cross the line and return home with their shopping. However, they went back empty handed that day after, in an instinctive act of human kindness, they threw their cartons of milk and loaves of bread to the migrants who’d called out to them to say they were hungry.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
When the girls returned home to their mother, rather than chastise them for having given away breakfast, she suggested they create 30 simple rations packs on a daily basis to give to the migrants literally risking life and limb for a chance to make it to the U.S. These parcels consisted of eight corn tortillas, beans and rice.
While the content of the packs hasn’t changed much over the past 20 years (they sometimes hand out fruits and biscuits with the help of donations), the quantity handed out most certainly has; to this day, the train continues to roll on through the town of La Patrona up to three times a day, but Las Patronas now hand out hundreds of parcels rather than just the 30 they began with.
As well as growing in production, the amount of people who help in the efforts to feed these migrants has multiplied; in fact, Las Patronas now has close to 20 members, including the ‘founder’ Norma Romero Vazquez and her sister-in-law Guadalupe González, as well as hundreds of supporters around the world. Their efforts haven’t gone unnoticed either; they were awarded Mexico’s most prestigious human rights prize, the Premio Nacional de Derechos Humanos, in 2013.
They’ve also been the subject of numerous documentaries, including De nadie (2005) and Llévate mis amores (2014), the latter of which details their work, as well as Las Patronas’ difficult personal situations. Even so, despite their own hardships, they recognize the need to help those worse off than them.
Why is their work necessary?
While a few have complained about their efforts, including many of Las Patronas’ husbands, the importance of handing out food provisions to these desperate migrants passing through rural Veracruz should not be downplayed. Every year, close to half a million Central American migrants (predominantly from Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua) embark on the perilous journey through the east coast of Mexico to reach the U.S. border, and this number is only on the rise as situations deteriorate in their home countries. In order to do so, many will board La Bestia and ride it as far north as possible. However, this option is anything but the easy way out, as falling from atop the carriages can result in loss of limbs or life. Plus, migrants must negotiate the violent gangs that partially control the route, protecting themselves from robbery, rape, people and organ trafficking, as well as kidnapping.
Las Patronas may literally mean Patron Saints, but for the migrants who are helped on their journey by this inspirational band of women, we think they’re probably more akin to guardian angels.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.