Mexican fine arts were once largely influenced by European traditions but since the Mexican Revolution, a new generation of Mexican artists have emerged. Today, young art dealers are opening galleries at a rapid pace and the city holds a unique mix of traditional and new practicing artists. We take a look at 10 art galleries that best represent the Mexican art scene.
Founded in 1983, Galeria OMR represents emerging and established contemporary artists. It is the exclusive representative of the estates of Adolfo Riestra and Alberto Gironella. It participates in many international art fairs such as Zona MACO (Mexico), Art Basel (Switzerland), Art Brussels (Belgium) and Art Basel Miami (USA). OMR have also opened a project space in the annex building called el52, aiming to provide a new platform for younger artists.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Garash Galeria is a gallery dedicated to showcasing contemporary art, housing an interesting collective of new mediums, performance art, installation and photography. Its artists include Amaranta Sanchez, Ana Roldan, Richard Mozska, Ricardo Harispuru and Xavier Rodriguez. It is situated in the emerging Colonia Roma neighborhood, the heart of the Mexican contemporary art scene.
Antiguo Colegio de San Ildefonso
Antiguo Colegio de San Ildefonso runs projects and exhibitions that are dedicated to the rich and diverse culture of Mexican heritage as well as holding collections from foreign museums often presented in Mexico for the first time. It also showcases contemporary exhibitions and activities that promote a learning experience for both the young people and adult audiences, highlighting its commitment to public participation and the promotion of art and culture in Mexico.
KBK Arte Contemporáneo
KBK Arte Contemporáneo is a gallery dedicated to contemporary art and supports emerging artists. This is a new gallery located in the upscale Polanco neighborhood. Supporting an array of established artists, the gallery represents the work of names such as Patrick Hamilton, Marcela Astorga, Fernando Carabajal, Rodrigo Echeverri, Dario Escobar, Taka Fernandez, Mateo Lopez, Rosario Lopez Parra, Moris, Ale de la Puente and Rodrigo Vega. It also undertakes a number of international projects and art fairs including VOLTA, and has a sister gallery in New York called VOLTANY.
Ex Teresa Arte Actual
The Ex Teresa Arte Actual Museum is located in the historic center of Mexico City. The building is an old church which has been transformed into an art center presenting exhibitions which investigate the contemporary art and culture of Mexico. The museum showcases various art mediums, such as installation, performance and multimedia. The museum has a collection of its own, but is characterized by the production and realization of regular programs of performances, in addition to presenting concerts of contemporary music, film and video projection, installations, sound art and multimedia shows.
Kurimanzutto boasts a collection of some of Mexico’s most up and coming contemporary artists, including Damián Ortega, Daniel Guzmán and Gabriel Orozco. The gallery is spacious, with the interesting interior resembling a barn with wooden beams and a frosted glass roof. This unique building is located near Mexico City’s central park, Bosque de Chapultepec.
Fundación/Colección Jumex is considered to be one of the most important contemporary art collections in Latin America. Its aim is to promote production, advance research and encourage critical thinking about contemporary art at an international level. Through its exhibitions and extensive grant and scholarship programs, Fundación/Colección Jumex works to generate innovative research and curatorial proposals to stimulate reflection about contemporary art worldwide.
Galeria Enrique Guerrero
Founded in 1997, Galeria Enrique Guerrero represents a group of young artists who are part of the emerging art scene in Mexico, with contemporary proposals exploring all disciplines that currently comprise the visual arts. As well as supporting contemporary art, the gallery pays homage to the great masters of Latin American art such as Remedios Varo, José Clemente Orozco and Francisco Zúñiga, as well as renowned artists such as Nobuyoshi Araki, Robert Mapplethorpe, Guillermo Kuitca and Louise Nevelson.
Museo Tamayo produces innovative exhibitions of international contemporary art, as well as the work of its founder Rufino Tamayo. Its aim is to enhance aesthetic experience and appreciation of art through extensive research and interpretation. Since 1986, it has been a public museum which belongs to the Red Nacional de Museos of the Instituto Nacional de Bellas Artes.
Museo Universitario del Chopo
Museo Universitario del Chopo, a popular university museum, is a critical and influential venue providing an insight into the new trends within heterodoxy in the performing arts, visual art and literature. It runs a varied program of projects and exhibitions that aim to generate an atmosphere of experimentation and reflection in dialogue with cultural groups and both emerging and independent networks. The museum addresses the university community as well as the general public.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.