Sayulita’s amazing food scene isn’t the only thing this vibrant little beach town has to offer. Here are the best shops and markets in Sayulita for traditional Mexican finds.
Shopping enthusiasts will be glad to hear that the shops in Sayulita are well-stocked with unique items handpicked by their shop owners, from jewelry and bohemian-chic clothing to housewares and handicrafts made by the local Huichol community. When it comes to markets, the selection is equally varied, featuring organic and sustainable products, as well as local artwork. So, leave the chain stores behind; it’s a much more authentic and enjoyable experience to browse the shops and markets in Sayulita.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The products in this shop are lovingly handcrafted over many hours, following traditional indigenous techniques. The animal skulls hanging on the wall are particularly interesting – they are made by wrapping yarn in an almost meditative state around beeswax-covered skull-shaped ceramics. The shop also sells textiles, such as knotted curtains and wall-hangings, as well as clothing and jewelry made from Huichol beads.
This clothing shop across the street from pizza restaurant La Rústica features a great collection of chic, tropical clothing for both men and women. The airy fabrics and classy prints on the rompers, kimonos, jumpers and dresses will tempt you to invest in a whole new summer wardrobe. The large selection of swimwear is neatly displayed on the window and it’s bound to draw you in. Besides clothing, the store also stocks jewelry, sandals and homewares, such as coffee cups and saucers.
This boutique fits right into the Sayulita landscape. The shop imprints iconic Mexican images like Frida Kahlo, Lucha Libre wrestlers and revolutionary hero Emiliano Zapata onto cool t-shirts and traditional woven handbags that are ideal for the beach. Throws, cushions, decorative art pieces and jewelry make excellent souvenirs or gifts.
As its name indicates, this is not just a shop, but also a gallery and reasonably priced spa. The selection of bohemian dresses, tunic tops and gypsy skirts is huge and of high quality, and the jewelry and home décor are displayed throughout the shop. There’s a section dedicated to children’s clothes with colorful, tropical prints such as flamingoes and palm trees.
Located riverside, next to the baseball stadium, the Hippie Market is open every day and features products crafted by local artisans. The stalls are stocked with unique items that make excellent gifts, such as hand-painted baseball caps, crochet dreamcatchers in every color scheme you can think of and handmade jewelry.
On Sundays, an open-air market – known as a tianguis throughout the country – sets up its stalls along two blocks of Calle Gaviotas. You can find good deals on clothing, handmade jewelry, woven tablecloths, artwork by local artists and handicrafts from craft centers such as the villages of Tlaquepaque and Tonalá, as well as from the local Huichol community.
Sayulita’s farmers’ market is well-known in the region for offering high-quality food including cheese, pickles and baked goods, as well as organic soaps and lotions. Its ethos is to provide local, sustainable products for people to enjoy at home. It opens every Friday from 10am to 2pm, from November to April, in line with the coast’s growing season.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.