Trained by some of the best chefs in Mexico, Jorge León has created a new, hidden gastronomic experience that mixes traditional home cooking with five-star dishes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The best-kept culinary secret of Oaxaca
The façade is just like any other Oaxacan house. The adobe bricks frame the entrance and a series of metallic sheets act as a roof to protect the building from the intense sun. There is no sign, no outdoor terrace, no hostess and no website. The only way to know that this particular residence is actually a restaurant called Alfonsina is by word of mouth.
“That’s the chef’s house,” one of the neighbors says, pointing at the main door.
Once you cross the gate, you’re welcomed by the mouthwatering aroma of freshly made tortillas and sweet mole sauce. The kitchen station is right next to the dining tables, so you not only get to enjoy the cooking process from start to finish, you also get the chance to talk to Jorge León, the founder of Alfonsina.
Alfonsina opened its doors to the public in November 2018. After working with some of the best chefs in Mexico, León returned to his hometown with the idea of creating not only a restaurant, but a completely different dining experience. And now, with the help of his mother, Elvia, he mixes traditional and modern techniques to feed locals and foreigners alike.
A home away from home
Located twenty minutes away from Oaxaca City and isolated from the main popular spots, Alfonsina has relied entirely on word-of-mouth to keep afloat. However, despite the limitations, this unusual eatery won the New Restaurant of the Year Award in 2018, granted by New Worlder Magazine.
Although chef Jorge is proud of his achievement, he clarifies that Alfonsina is not really a restaurant in the typical sense.
“There isn’t just one word to define Alfonsina,” he says. “It is not only a restaurant or a hotel. It is an experience. Alfonsina is home.”
León says he wanted to create a place where people could eat, but also rest, relax and share their daily lives. That’s the reason he decided to locate it inside his parents’ house and not in a commercial space. Additionally, Alfonsina doesn’t have a fixed menu. Their daily dishes depend on the produce they find at Oaxaca’s Supply Center, which they can customize to meet their clients’ needs.
“We ask our customers if they have allergies, or if they don’t like a particular ingredient, like onions, garlic or hot peppers, so we can prepare a personalized meal. We also use only fresh and seasonal produce, and every day we offer a different option. Our dishes are never the same.”
From dishwasher to world-renowned chef
Despite having a brilliant culinary career, Jorge admits that his journey into the gastronomic world happened out of necessity.
“I was young and needed the money,” he explains, “I was walking by when I saw a sign outside Casa Oaxaca. They were asking for dishwashers, so I entered the place and told them to take that sign off, because the new dishwasher had just arrived.”
Casa Oaxaca is one of Latin America’s 50 best restaurants. However, Jorge confessed he had never heard of the place before applying for the position.
“My mother was always passionate about food, but I never felt the same way until I started working in a kitchen. And after that, it changed my life.”
After getting to know the chefs and displaying some of his innate talent, Jorge began receiving training from some of the world’s most renowned culinary personalities. Gourmet Award Winner and founder of Casa Oaxaca, Alejandro Ruiz, became a mentor to Jorge. Thanks to him, Jorge was able to learn the most advanced food techniques. This knowledge eventually led him to work at Pujol, which is not only the best restaurant in Mexico, but in all of North America.
Jorge’s abilities caught the eye of Pujol’s owner, Enrique Olvera, who put him in charge of the Oaxacan-inspired dishes.
“It really opened my eyes to a whole new world,” León explains. “When I arrived, Pujol was already a world-class restaurant, so I wasn’t sure how could I contribute to it. But, in the end, I was able to bring a bit of Oaxaca to the dishes, and that is something that will always make me proud.”
Haute cuisine meets homemade cooking
If there is something that stands out about Alfonsina, it’s the coalition of two worlds. At first sight, it looks like a traditional Mexican fonda (eatery), but the dishes are at the level of a five-star restaurant.
With his experience in Casa Oaxaca and Pujol, Jorge decided to take all his learnings and apply them in Alfonsina. However, he went a step further and combined these high-class techniques with his mother’s traditional cooking.
“Alfonsina is all about mixing the old with the new, the traditions with the avant-garde,” he says. “I wanted to offer my customers the comfort of a home-cooked meal, but with the influence of the greatest chefs in Mexico.”
Every day, Jorge’s mother Elvia prepares breakfast and a dish of the day, while he works on a five-course menu. The contrast is surprising, but also harmonizing. The clay bowls and rustic wood-fire oven blend with the high-end plating and exotic flavors, offering guests the best of both worlds.
“When you’re from Oaxaca, you don’t need to be a professional chef to recognize good food,” León assures. “You grow up with great tortillas, great salsas, great moles and great mezcal, so you automatically become an expert. I wanted to share this knowledge with my customers and show them a bit of Oaxaca’s gastronomical quality.”
Whether you want to enjoy a traditional bean tlayuda (savory Mexican crêpe) or a luxurious sea bass sashimi with coconut, Alfonsina caters to every palate while making you feel at home.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.