The great British novelist Malcom Lowry described Mexico as “the meeting place, according to some, of mankind itself.” Since the arrival of the Spanish in 1517, the country has been defined by its extraordinary cultural diversity. People of indigenous, European or mestizo (mixed) origin are found throughout Mexico. Waves of immigrants from France, China and Lebanon, among others, were also added to this melting pot. With that in mind, here’s a region-by-region guide to Mexico’s extraordinary diversity.
In Mexico, nine states are often grouped together under the informal title el norte (the North). The states typically listed in this group are Baja California, Baja California Sur, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Durango, Nuevo León, Sinaloa, Sonora and Tamaulipas.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Six of these share a border with the United States, so the commercial and cultural influence of the northern neighbour is marked. The North also exerts a strong influence on the United States, especially because in the early 19th century, Mexico owned all of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, California and Nevada, as well as large parts of Colorado, Wyoming, Oklahoma, and Kansas.
Although the northern states are typically associated with mestizo people, there are small but fascinating indigenous groups such as the Yumano tribes of Baja California, who maintain a shamanistic, desert culture.
The Central Northern Region of Mexico is defined by its colonial past and is widely regarded as having the highest living standards in the country. The region contains the states of Aguascalientes, Colima, Guanajuato, Jalisco, Michoacán, Nayarit, Querétaro, San Luis Potosí, and Zacatecas.
The mix of cultures in the region is extremely diverse but the influence of colonialism and European immigration provides a common thread.
Scattered throughout the region are former silver mining towns blessed with elegant architecture and fascinating cultural sights: Guanajuato, Zacatecas and San Luis Potosi to name just a few.
The Central North is also home to a number of indigenous groups, including around 43,000 Huichol people, who are famed for their colourful artwork and ritual use of peyote.
The center of the country was once home to the beautiful Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan and is now culturally dominated by the heaving metropolis of Mexico City, as well as the colonial city of Puebla. Six states and the Federal District are typically regarded as Central Mexico: Hidalgo, Mexico State, Mexico City, Morelos, Puebla, Tlaxcala and Veracruz.
The capital has long been an immigrant destination for Mexicans from the south, but it really is a melting pot of different cultures, with pockets of Arab, Jewish and Asian communities, among others.
The surrounding State of Mexico contains small towns such as Malinalco and Tepoztlán, which retain a strongly indigenous feel.
The Caribbean coastal state of Veracruz is heavily influenced by Cuban culture, which is reflected in the region’s traditional song and dances.
Historically the poorest region in the country, the southern states are home to many of its indigenous people. The South consists of the states of Campeche, Chiapas, Guerrero, Oaxaca, Quintana Roo, Tabasco, Veracruz and the Yucatán. The southern states are also the most linguistically diverse in the country, with hundreds of indigenous languages still spoken here.
The state of Oaxaca is famed for its vibrant and colourful cuisine. Chiapas, the southernmost state, attracted international attention in 1994 when the Zapatista army took up arms against the government. Since then, the movement has established several autonomous Zapatista communities in the region.
The Costa Chica region of Guerrero state in Mexico is noted for its population of Afro-Mexicans, descendants of African slaves who were brought to the region in the 16th century.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.