With its leafy plazas and excellent climate, the Mexican city of Cuernavaca has long provided an escape from the bustle of the nearby Mexican capital. Known as the “City of Eternal Spring,” Cuernavaca is a traditional getaway for the Mexican elite, who retreat to the villas and gardens that surround the city. Yet what really puts the city on the map is its literary history. In the 20th century, the picturesque destination attracted a range of foreign writers, including the British novelist Malcolm Lowry and the Colombian master Gabriel García Márquez.
Under the Volcano
Lowry arrived with his wife in Cuernavaca on the Day of the Dead in November 1936. That year, the novelist produced a short story, “Under the Volcano,” which inspired his 1947 novel of the same name.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Considered by some to be one of the greatest novels of all time, the story follows a day in the life of the alcoholic former British consul and his estranged wife, Yvonne. The city of Cuernavaca is central to the dark masterpiece, and its protagonists visit recognizable locations such as the Palacio de Cortés and Cuernavaca’s central plaza or Zócalo. The story is largely autobiographical, and was inspired by Lowry’s failed attempt to save his marriage during his stay in the city.
Zócalo de Cuernavaca, Hidalgo, Centro, Cuernavaca, Morelos, +52 7773295500
100 Years of Solitude
The Nobel Prize-winning novelist Gabriel García Márquez also had an intimate relationship with the city. The Colombian novelist spent the last five decades of his life in Mexico, and owned a property in Cuernavaca. Although he never set any of his novels in the city, he seemed to be inspired by it. Driving with his family from Mexico City to the beach resort of Acapulco in 1965, García Márquez was just outside the city when he was hit by a life-changing flash of inspiration. According to his own account, the first sentence of his landmark novel, 100 Years of Solitude, suddenly sprang into his mind fully formed:
“Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendia was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.”
García Márquez turned around and returned home to lock himself away until the novel was complete. Around 12 months later, and $12,000 in debt, he had a masterpiece in his hands.
Can Cuernavaca Turn the Page on its Recent History?
A wave of violence broke out in Cuernavaca in 2010, as local drug traffickers fought for control of the region. Drug war conflicts have raged ever since and the city was declared the most dangerous in Mexico in 2015, topping even Acapulco for that year.
In 2011, the son of Javier Sicilia, Mexico’s most famous living poet, was murdered, alongside six other victims, just outside Cuernavaca. Sicilia wrote a final poem for his son, which was performed at his funeral. He told friends, “Poetry doesn’t exist in me anymore.”
But Sicilia threw himself behind another cause, becoming a vocal critic of both the drug cartels and the government. In his new role as an activist, Sicilia has organized hundreds of events and addressed crowds all over the country. He has spoken out against the military strategy of the government, and has also called for the legalization of drugs, both in Mexico and worldwide.
Despite the recent crisis of crime and security, Cuernavaca’s literary culture is still vibrant. Poetry readings and literary events are held throughout the year. But there is no doubt that the city has lost some of its enchantment. With the looming threat of criminals and disinterested authorities, for the time being at least, Cuernavaca has come to resemble the chaotic city described in Lowry’s masterpiece.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.