There are a ton of annual festivals that call Mexico City their home, from film fests to world renowned, three-day music festivals, so just how do you know where to begin? Well, we’ve put together this guide to Mexico City’s seven best festivals, with a variety of themes. So, whether you’re a culture fan or an art buff, you’ll know exactly which event you need to get tickets for.
Ambulante Film Festival
This touring film festival makes its annual stop in Mexico City around the start of the year, usually in January or February, and puts on a wide variety of film screenings, workshops and actors’ panels at distinct locations across the city. If you’re a big fan of Gael García Bernal or Diego Luna, this festival is a must-see because they’re two of Ambulante’s original founders and often put in appearances at events. The perfect festival for film fans.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you’re more interested in art than film, the contemporary art festival ZONA MACO can also be found in Mexico City during the chillier months of the year; early February to be precise. For three days some of the city’s best and most prestigious art galleries put on special exhibitions focusing on contemporary artwork, opening their doors to the festival goers. Award ceremonies and conferences also come as part and parcel of the ZONA MACO festival.
Festival del Centro Histórico
One of the capital’s most important and longstanding cultural celebrations is the Festival del Centro Histórico. As the name suggests, this event (which began in 1985), focuses around Mexico City’s historic centre and seeks to offer a diverse array of cultural spectacles; dance, music, art, theatre and opera are just some of the expositions that are involved in this two-week long festival, that usually takes place around March time.
Another option for March is the shorter but arguably better known Vive Latino festival. For three days a year, this equally established event brings together the best performers on the Latin music scene for a massive concert in Foro Sol, Mexico City. With a broad scope of musical talents and genres on the roster each year, they’ve more recently begun to invite big name, non-Latin artists too.
Festival Internacional de Cine Para Niños (…Y no tan Niños)
While Ambulante might be fine for adults, those with kids may need to look for something a little different on the Mexico City festival scene. However, you need look no further than the Festival Internacional de Cine Para Niños (…Y no tan Niños). This annual event takes place right at the close of the summer holidays, in August, and features an impressive selection of child-oriented films that aren’t so easy to come by in Mexico.
Festival del Día de Muertos
One of Mexico’s biggest and most coveted cultural events, the Day of the Dead, unsurprisingly has its very own festival in Mexico City each year. While Michoacán and Oaxaca are known for the more traditional celebrations, Mexico City’s Coyoacán neighborhood hosts a celebration in its central park too. From late-October to early-November, you can observe the sacred traditions and pay your own respects to the dead.
We round off our festival guide with another of the capital’s most popular music events and the natural rival to Vive Latino, Corona Capital. Each autumn, this festival brings together a diverse set of performers from across the world and puts on an amazing live show. With less of a focus on Latin music than its early-in-the-year counterpart, Corona Capital is more of an all-rounder, albeit also a more rock-focused, option for music lovers.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.