Drawn by its unique blend of tradition and modernity, tourists are flocking to Mexico’s second-largest city in ever-growing numbers. Known as the birthplace of mariachi and renowned for its impressive colonial architecture, Guadalajara is also a vibrant cosmopolitan hub, with excellent restaurants and nightlife. Check out these 25 stunning photos and see why the elegant city is commonly known as the “Pearl of the West.”
Marvel at Guadalajara’s imposing cathedral.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The cathedral’s towers and domes are illuminated at night.
The stunning Hospicio Cabañas building is just one of Guadalajara’s architectural highlights.
Teatro Degollado, a neoclassical theater, is known for its impressive architectural design and diverse range of performances.
Los Arcos de Guadalajara is a neoclassical archway and one of Guadalajara’s most iconic monuments.
The Templo Expiatorio del Santísimo Sacramento is a beautiful neo-gothic church in the heart of Guadalajara.
The church boasts huge and beautifully-detailed stained glass windows, Italian mosaics, and a peaceful inner courtyard.
San Juan de Dios market is Latin America’s largest indoor market, containing nearly 3,000 stalls dedicated to every product imaginable.
Fresh, high-quality meat is sold in the city’s many markets.
Cantarito pots are filled with a potent cocktail of tequila and fruit juices, and are sold in many of the city’s cantinas.
One of Mexico’s most respected restaurants, the walls of El Hueso in Guadalajara are adorned with more than 10,000 white animal bones.
Tortas ahogadas, or drowned bread rolls are Guadalajara’s most iconic food. The spicy dish is made with a birote style of bread and stuffed with cuts of meat or prawns that are submerged in spicy tomato sauce.
One of the most popular varieties of tacos offered in Mexico are al pastor (spit-grilled meat tacos), which are often combined with a chopped pineapple for sweetness.
Despite being more than three hours from the coast, Guadalajara has a wealth of first-rate seafood restaurants.
Western Mexico’s largest metropolis is the birthplace of the mariachi.
The “Jarabe Tapatío,” is the city’s traditional dance.
The dance has come to symbolize Guadalajara both domestically and internationally.
Guadalajara also has an emerging electronic music scene.
Mexican pro wrestling, or lucha libre, is a must-see spectacle for visitors to Guadalajara.
The city is home to Guadalajara Chivas, Mexico’s most popular soccer team, which has a unique tradition of fielding only Mexican players.
The Julián Magdaleno Gym is a tiny, rundown facility that has earned legendary status in the world of sport. The gym has trained five boxing world champions, including middleweight champion Saúl “Canelo” Álvarez.
These bright-colored umbrellas were displayed as part of an art installation in the picturesque district of Tlaquepaque.
Tlaquepaque is internationally renowned for its beautiful art, and the noted Mexican artist and sculptor Sergio Bustamante has a studio in the area.
Situated in the wealthy neighborhood of Providencia, the Colomos Park is particularly popular with Frisbee throwers, yoga practitioners, and runners. The highlight of the park is without doubt the Japanese garden.
The Barranca de Huentitán is a canyon with a depth of nearly 3,500 feet that is a popular place to hike and escape from the bustle of central Guadalajara.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.